which filter media to use

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

ssimon15

which filter media to use

Post by ssimon15 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi, i am now doing a fishless cycle on my 56 g tank ,i am trying to figure out how to use my 2 aquaclear filters properly. i have a 70 (rated 40g to 70g and a 50 (rated 20g to 50 g ). Once my cycle is over i will get some small less agressive malawi cichlids (still working on the combination , but thats another topic) not more than 9 or 10 juveniles. what would be the proper way to use the filters. Should 1 be just chemical (carbon or purigen with a foam insert and filter floss) and the other be biological (biomax with foam insert and filter floss) My question is what is the best or proper way to use my filters. Thanks in advance Stuart p.s. i am also running a Korali 3 for some water movement

ssimon15

Re: which filter media to use

Post by ssimon15 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi, Stuart again i guess i am a impatient person , but i am hoping the cycle will be complete within a week. Then i will be going out to get my fish . I feel correct filtration is very importent ,since i am getting possibly 9 or 12 fish(all juveniles). I would appreciate some feedback or ideas, from any person that feels they could contribute. My thoughts are to have 1 used as chemical and the other used as biological, i wonder which one should be the larger one ( aquaclear 70, and 50). Thanks again in advance Stuart. P.S. I believe that this forum is the best and most knowlegable of all the chiclid forums on the net.(idon't understand why there isn't more traffic) please forgive my spelling,i'm 65 ,retired ,and maybe a little brain dead.

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am

All we ever do with aquaclears is double up the sponges and run them like that - nothing else. When we clean the sponges, we just rotate the one on the bottom up, etc. We don't use carbon, or anything like biomax as IMHO there is enough surface area on the sponges to handle the nitrification process.
One week for a fishless cycle is fairly optimistic. I personally don't believe that is possible unless you use old sponges in your aquaclears, for example.

YMMV,

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

ssimon15

Post by ssimon15 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi,Thanks for your response Ken, is that set up just for cycling,or also for when i stock my tank. Should i use that sponge setup in both filters all the time. Thanks again for your response Stuart

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:53 am

That's for general use. It's easy to switch "dirty" sponges (only 1 of the 2) into new tanks when we set them up to kickstart the cycling in that new tank. You should just get a guppy or three to help start the process. They can always become food for your subsequent fish :)

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Return to “Filtration”