Filter bacteria

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Filter bacteria

Post by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:53 pm

I've gotten into an argument on another forum, with regard the effectiveness of bottled bacteria. My personal opinion is that they don't work. and I will explain later. I do know of nitraspirla (think that's what its called) however as that has to be refrigerated and has an extremely limited shelf life I do believe it to actually be a live bacterial population, and therefore works.

however given how Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter do not form endospheres, and that they require the presence of both oxygen and a food source to stay alive, I feel they cannot exist within the sealed environment that is a bottle, with extremely limited oxygen, and a highly limited food supply (if any) especially when stored at room temperature, and given a long shelf live.

I have had contact with a microbiologist, who agreed with me that these couldn't be kept alive in the conditions I described, and the only method that they could be utilised for storage would be freeze-drying.
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Filter bacteria

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I think it's possible that you mean biospira.

I happen to agree with you on bottled bacteria. I don't think anyone has even proven exactly what bacteria is what ends up in your tank.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Re: Filter bacteria

Post by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I didnt have a problem with biospira, it was obviously being treated as a bacterial culture should be, refrigerated to retard growth and metabolism of the population, meaning it should consume minimal amounts of oxygen and food. and the short shelf life meant it should still be allive by the time you get it

the product I'm talking about is Tetra safestart, and the manufacturers claim it'll last 12 months on the shelves at room temperature.

I did get an interesting thing about it being heterotrophs, which do consume ammonia/nitrite, but whilst rapidly building up populations they are also prone to crashing quickly as well.

I'm looking to do some more research into that.
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association

Return to “Filtration”