Outisde Canister filters. Which one to use?

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

krazykilroy

Outisde Canister filters. Which one to use?

Post by krazykilroy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into the hobby of aquariums.

I started out with air pumps and corner filters with filter floss, then worked my way up to hang-over-the-tank filters/pumps.

Due to space constraints, I want to start up my 55-gallon tank, but with an outside/canister filter/pump.

I think that the initial inspiration for that was an unscheduled trip to Dr. Foster and Smith website, and looking at the Fluval G-series canister filters. I was googly-eyed at the electronic display, and felt like the price to play for that must be worth it because its a Fluval. But then I went on Amazon and looked at reviews, and saw that there may be more issues than I am prepared to deal with, especially since I am just re-starting.

So which Outside filters are recommended for use for a 55-gallon tank? What are your experiences with them?

Any feedback would be appreciated. And thank you in advance.

John

dswells

Re: Outisde Canister filters. Which one to use?

Post by dswells » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm

krazykilroy wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into the hobby of aquariums.

So which Outside filters are recommended for use for a 55-gallon tank? What are your experiences with them?

Any feedback would be appreciated. And thank you in advance.
Hi John,

There are a plethora of good canisters out there. If you're not familiar with them, it might be a good idea to read up on them a little (if you haven't already) before you actually place your order.

Having said that, I've used a variety of canisters. My favorites are Eheims and, as of late, Sicces. Both make canisters that will easily filter a 55g. In fact, I'm running a Sicce Whale 500 on my 55g mbuna tank now. I'm a bit partial to Sicce for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is their 3 year warranty. Canisters all work mostly the same way, so you'll want to look for one that has the specific bells/whistles that you prefer (e.g, digital display) at a price you're comfortable with. However, not all of them are the same quality nor have the same warranty. I suspect you'll get a wide range of answers to that question.

Scott

krazykilroy

Post by krazykilroy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you sir.

Is it true that canister filters don't really provide as much oxygen, so I may have to add an air line into my tank?

dswells

Post by dswells » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:34 am

krazykilroy wrote:Thank you sir.

Is it true that canister filters don't really provide as much oxygen, so I may have to add an air line into my tank?
The short answer to that question is, no. The filter itself doesn't really provide any oxygen to begin with. The filtration process, however, is a different story. Canisters are closed filtration systems, meaning that the aquarium water flowing through the canister typically won't be exposed to the air where the Oxygen molecules reside in great quantities. The return flow of your canister can be directed toward the surface of your tank water creating surface agitation, which promotes oxygen exchange. The larger the surface area, the greater exchange capacity. That exchange generally delivers plenty of oxygen molecules to your tank water.

Filters like sumps (wet/dry) and HOBs generally deliver more oxygenated water because they're open systems (water flowing through them is exposed to the air before it's return to the tank). However, sufficient surface agitation from a canister's return flow will provide enough oxygen to your tank (provided it's not grossly overstocked and underfiltered). You can still add airstones, if you like. They will add oxygen (and simultaneously increase surface agitation) but they also add additional noise for the tank inhabitants, especially if there is heavy air flow.

Here's a decent article that you might find helpful - http://www.tfhmagazine.com/aquarium-bas ... nation.htm.

krazykilroy

Post by krazykilroy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:22 am

Thank you VERY much.

John

Return to “Filtration”