Overkill?

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Chrisfits

Overkill?

Post by Chrisfits » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

I finally got my new tank after 6 months.... The guy didnt bring lids or sump so I'll probably see them in a year or 2 haha,
Anyway it measures 6' long, 2.5'wide & 2ft high about 200 & a bit gal I think.
He's building me a 4' sump 16" wide & 20' high so I'll have room for plenty of media I am also going to run 2x eheim 2228 canisters in combo with the sump, would that be too much or not enough on that size tank?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360703658.004240.jpg

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Overkill?

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice size tank, it's actually ~224 gallons. 6 x 2.5 x 2 = 30 cubic feet x 7.47 = 224.1 gallons

Filtration will depend on what you are going to keep in it. A sump that size could conceivably handle more than one power head (and return) or pump to operate it. You might not need the other filters.

If you plan to keep 25 Oscars (way too many for that tank but I'm using this as an example of very heavy bio-load) you would need all that and more. If you plan to keep a nice central American cichlid habitat with 10- 12 small to medium sized fish it may be a bit of over overkill.

Are you sold on a sump system? I used to be but now I'm more a power filter man simply because you won't loose food as soon as you toss it in the tank unless you only feed sinking foods.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks Dan, Nice that's awesome I wasn't sure the exact conversion I'm used to the metric system.. Yeah definitely gotta use a sump the bottom or the tank is drilled & overflow weir in the back left corner.. Plus then I don't have to run air stones & heaters in the display space.. Although running 2 canisters kinda contradicts not having cables & lines running into the tank haha. I do like the ease of maintenance on sumps too.
Haha 25 oscars haha yeah a bit heavy on stock wouldn't dream of that but what I'm looking at having in there I'm pushing limits but will be culling stock as I see sexes, colours, tempers, ect.
I've got all juvie fish at the moment biggest would be 6" red devil..
But will initially have:
3x splendida ( 2 green 1 red)
4x Cubans
1x red devil
1x jag
Not the ideal mix I know the jag will be gone first he's just in healing mode at the moment Cubans really don't like jags.

Sorry to Segway there, I'm looking to get an acrylic comb for the weir so shouldn't loose too much food,
What power filter setup are you running currently?

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am

I use Marineland Emperor 400s on just about everything and an automatic water change system to maintain water quality. My bio loads are not very high, up to 16 fish in a 180 but mostly 10 fish or less per 180.

Personally I think your mix will be troublesome. The splendida will get bullied by just about everyone, they are not very aggressive. Their only advantage is a very large mouth. I've seen one eat a 5 inch fish when they were only 6 or 8 inches. Also the tetracanthus will be your biggest issue if/when they breed. Personally for groups of fish like this I would use a much longer tank, maybe 8 or even 10 feet long. Cichlids, especially big or nasty ones need floor space. Your Patenia are gonna be huge and the others are gonna be nasty! :)

Let us know how it goes. Dan

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36 am

Couple of easy methods to work out the size of a tank in US gallons.

L x W X H / 231 - this method is for inches.

L x W X H x 7.5 - this method is for feet. (not exact, but close enough, especially if you're trying to work it out in your head!)

Couple of conversions to help out.

US gallons = 3.7854 liters, so if you know your tank in liters, take that number and divide by 3.7854.

1.2 US gallons = 1 Imperial gallons. (not exact, but close enough for what we're doing)

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Automatic water change you say now that's an idea!! How's that work do you have a reserve of clean water to pump in or something? I thought I was smart getting a hole drilled for a tap in this tank haha.
Yeah I was aware of temperaments when I saw the lfs had green morph splendida I had to buy them & Cubans come along even less here in Adelaide so as some if not most have done before I let my excitement get the better of me & now I have the ol' what do I get rid of first predicament.. although the petenia are holding their own against my vicious male venustus & 2 smaller Cubans ( I'm having to grow them in my African tank due to broken promises on the big tank)
Yeah for sure I figure a lot of combos are trial & error it's a long shot this mix will work so if things get nasty ill pop the petenia into the 75g till I can find new homes for them or the Cubans, I'll post pics of progress with this tank hopefully it will be operational in a month 2 max.
I have a feeling the tank will end up with 2 petenia or a couple Cubans might get a few rainbowfish as dithers/food.
Thanks again for the advice.
Awesome thanks for those conversions Lisa! That will come in very handy for me, never been good with maths :)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I use a design I came up with using a lawn sprinkler timer, a lawn sprinkler valve, airline tubing and pressure compensating emitters.

The timer controls the valve, the valve sends water to the emitter down the air line and the emitter shoots the water into the tanks.

Chrisfits

Post by Chrisfits » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 am

Cool! Sounds like a solid setup, just straight out the tap or do you run through like a RO filter?
Now you mention that setup it's got me thinking :) my old man does irrigation maintenance for schools, gov, ect I could get him to hook me up on trade price, never thought of adapting that side of things to the aquarium.
Hats off to a great idea Dan

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am

No, I don't use chemicals. My water supply, from the big city, is not too heavily dosed with anything. I'm far enough from the source and just before the re-dosing stations.

Also, I add so little water to a tank at one time it is very diluted. For example, I use a 10 gallon per hour emitter on a 100 gallon tank. I run the system for 30 mins providing 5 gallons diluted in 100 twice a day.

Have Dad hook you up, it would be easy for him to set you up. Dan

Return to “Filtration”