Filter media for Fluval 404

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

lindamcdonald

Filter media for Fluval 404

Post by lindamcdonald » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 pm

I have had my Fluval 404 running for 3 weeks. I am planning on changing part of the media in 2 more weeks. Is there a cheaper alternative to the fluval media? If I bought the carbon in bulk, what kind of material do I place it in? Some people talk about using pot scrubbers. Could I put something like that in my Fluval? What do you do? What would you suggest for Fluval Filter maintenance? Thanks for all your help! :P

chc

Post by chc » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:28 am

Pot scrubbers would not be very effective in a canister (not as much surface area as in lava and other porous material). For a submerged application like a canister you need to maximize surface area. Several options here: manufactured media (from Fluval, Eheim, etc.) or DIY lava gravel is what most people choose.

Scrubbers do a good job in wet/dry applications though (they allow water and air to mix pretty well without becoming clogged up like lava would).

lindamcdonald

using loose carbon

Post by lindamcdonald » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:07 am

If I use the bulk carbon, what do I put it in? You would have to put it in a bag...right? I am so naive :lol:

chc

Post by chc » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:39 pm

I wouldn't use carbon as it tends to capture toxins from the water only to release them back again eventually.

Try matrix from Seachem (cheap) or one of the Eheim options (expensive).

Return to “Filtration”