Roots for cichlids tank

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Jafh

Roots for cichlids tank

Post by Jafh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Hello, i am building a cichlid tank, i bought some roots, they paint the water and they dont fall down to the bottom.
Here's a picture in the preview (empty tank):

I hope you can tell me if i can use them for my tank, and what to do with them.

Thanks, Greetings!

chc

Re: Roots for cichlids tank

Post by chc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Provided they haven't absorbed any chemicals (like pesticides, etc.), it would be rare for a tangle of roots to do more than acidify your water a bit (and that would lessen over time).

You may need to change water a little more frequently at first, but I wouldn't expect any serious harm to come to your fish. If you have rift lake cichlids or those from Central America you made need to add a buffering substance to your tank to offset the effects of the wood.

SergeS

Re: Roots for cichlids tank

Post by SergeS » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 am

If you put some weight on top of them for some time (can take quite a while!) they will be saturated with water, and eventually, they will sink instead of float :) Do not use boiling water, as that will affect the structure of the wood and may cause it to rot prematurely!

You can also water them in your bathtub, if you don't mind not being able to take a bath for a few days :lol:

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”