sand substrate

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

daveritchey

sand substrate

Post by daveritchey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:26 pm

ive never used sand substrate, i could use some advice on what to look for and what to avoid. i want to make sure i get the right type of sand so i can avoid any future teardown headaches.

deeda

Re: sand substrate

Post by deeda » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 pm

You can use pool filter sand which is available at most any pool supply store. Also depending on where you live, you can also use 'sand' that is used for pool plaster finishes. I'm currently using Estes PermaColor Quartz Trowel-Rite grade in my tanks and I'm very pleased with it.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

daveritchey

Post by daveritchey » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 am

i spoke with litehouse and they informed me that the pool sand was silica sand, is there a specific type of sand i should look for or is silica sand acceptable?

deeda

Post by deeda » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 am

That sand is fine to use, I have it in 2 of my tanks though I don't care for the tan color of it.

Are you looking for a sand that is other than tan or white? If you are in the Cleveland area, PM me for the name of the company that I buy my colored sand from.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

daveritchey

Post by daveritchey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:51 am

we are practically neighbours! im down here in the akron area. ty for your advice i picked up some quartz sand from classic pools, just a light colored brown sand, im thinking ill add a few geophagus to the tank.never kept the species before and am looking forward to watching them play in the sand.i figure they would help me work the sand and keep it churned up.

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”