3D WALL BUILD

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

daveritchey

3D WALL BUILD

Post by daveritchey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:48 pm

ive been anxious to start one of these 3 d wall builds, I jumped in this past week with both feet. stopped at a furniture store and they gave all the styrofoam packing i could handle, after much carving and gluing i finally had a good base created. i used thinset mortar and a few different dyes, and spread 4 coats of cement all over the surface. i used a brush for the first few coats and on the final coat i used straight grey and dabbed it all on with a sponge. there are faint browns and black colors coming through an otherwise grey rock looking structure.im fairly pleased with how its coming along , and is very light weight even with the 4 coats of cement. i talked with polygem and ordered the zoopoxy to cover and seal the entire structure. we are going to spray the epoxy on , or at least attempt to. ill keep you posted on how it turns out.

Mooneater

Re: 3D WALL BUILD

Post by Mooneater » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 am

Sounds good!

Do not forget that after applying epoxy, the colors tend to change as if you just freshly applied them (as if "wet"), this might change a bit when submerged, but is definitely something to keep in the back of your mind!

in any case... pictures! 8)

daveritchey

Re: 3D WALL BUILD

Post by daveritchey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:48 pm

the colors did intensify with the first coat of epoxy but it was a pleasant surprise actually, i think the structure became a little more realistic. looks almost like dark bsalt rock if you have ever seen that. when i get things up and running ill try to post some pics. im going to incorporate a sandy bottom, and an area where there is a partial slate bottom tiered up and the sand will meet it and lap up just above the first tier of slate.i am interested in finding a smaller somewhat docile eartheater, something colorful to add, a couple of uaru cichlids, chocolates and a powder blue jack dempsey,rainbows maybe and possible a nicaraguan or two, along with a few smaller species like keyholes, and maybe t bars.

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”