Stone bottom aquarium?

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

daveritchey

Stone bottom aquarium?

Post by daveritchey » Tue May 20, 2014 7:10 am

I was curious if anyone has made a flagstone bottomed aquarium? Instead of having a bare bottom glass tank I was curious if one could lay some flat stone on the bottom of the tank and epoxy/ silicone the joints and prevent water getting between and under the stone. ( to avoid waste building up) . I think it would look nice and be easy to keep clean as waste would not be trapped in the gravel. What do you think?

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Stone bottom aquarium?

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed May 21, 2014 11:35 am

I've done it. It is ultimtely just another "substrateless" tank. It worked fine for what it was. Dan

daveritchey

Post by daveritchey » Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

with regular maintenace and cleaning schedule would you say that this type of substrate would be cleaner and healthier than say a gravel substrate? are there any pitfalls associated with this that i should be aware of from your experience?

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed May 21, 2014 8:17 pm

I wouldn't worry about that... there isn't anyone cleaning up the rivers and stuff piles up in there all the time. The only thing I would worry about is very good maintenance (water changes) and "proper" fish population in the tank (not over crowded).

Personally I prefer gravel or sand substrate, detritus is "hidden" and beneficial bacteria grows on the substrate to breakdown the waste.

What you are talking about is just like a bare bottom tank so it is all the same.

zenins

Post by zenins » Fri May 23, 2014 8:08 pm

When I was much younger many years ago, a friend of mine had a chrome Metaframe frame tank that had a slate bottom.

Here is a 10 gallon on Ebay with some water in it, went for $125 !

I still use my 5 gallon Metaframe tank but it does not have the slate bottom ...

Here is a 5 gallon slate bottom for $65:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1894516 ... ref=market

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon May 26, 2014 11:09 am

Mercy! I really must be old. I still use several slate bottom stainless steel frame tanks ranging from 10 to a 20 gallon long. I don't use my 25 gallon iron frame slate bottom tank anymore. The top rusted away. I prefer these tanks personally - except if they leak or a glass side breaks. Then it's a hassle to repair.

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”