LED lights

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Sandman

LED lights

Post by Sandman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I would like to hear from others on their experience, pros/cons on LED lights for Cichlid aquariums. I am thinking about getting 1 (or 2) Trulumen Pro LED striplights. (48") This would be for a 120 gallon 4' x 2' x2',with a few plants that are "low light" requirement plants. I am also wondering about light options offered, 8000K sunlight, 12000 K Diamond White, or 12000 K white/453nm Actinic blue ? Any thoughts or recommendations ? Thanks

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: LED lights

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

I get a purple algae growth in the tank where I have Marineland LED lights installed (I had to get low profile lights to fit in this tanks situation/location).

I think the light wavelength is a personal preference - unless you need a particular spectrum for a specific purpose. I do like the shimmer affect the LED lights have on the aquarium floor. I also like the clearer looking light I get from them versus standard fluorescent lamps. I've not taken photos on a tank with these lights yet but I imagine it will not adversely affect the results.

These units were not cheap, even at Internet prices. Also, if you are looking to save money by switching don't bother. Their power consumption is not much less than a standard fluorescent fixture/lamp setup.

Dan

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Thank you for your reply. You are quite correct, they are not cheap.
I saw a 75 gallon tank setup with just one 48' strip in an aquatic fish shop and was very taken with how this wooded tank looked. So I am going to try a single strip with the 12k white/actinic verison and see see how it looks, I may even combine with a fluorescent light if more light is needed ? Thanks again for your response.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Personally I think Actinic lamps are not the right type of light for a Cichlid tank - especially because I think I know what you are trying to do... I actually have a tank with a standard lamp and an Actinic lamp on it. I'll snap a picture and post it later so you can see it.

Dan

matt121966

Post by matt121966 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 pm

didn't want to start a whole need thread on lights.

any new commentary on LED lights ????

aztec123

Post by aztec123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

I would personally go with a DIY led setup that way you get the color you are looking for. I would only go with cree brand. There are a few compaines selling nice quality kits online.

JamesThurmond

Post by JamesThurmond » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

aztec123 wrote:I would personally go with a DIY led setup that way you get the color you are looking for. I would only go with cree brand. There are a few compaines selling nice quality kits online.
he he he dude :-D Here I got someone like me.. I'm personally perfer your choice. Thanks ...

JamesThurmond

Post by JamesThurmond » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 pm

aztec123 wrote:I would personally go with a DIY led light setup that way you get the color you are looking for. I would only go with cree brand. There are a few compaines selling nice quality kits online.
he he he dude :-D Here I got someone like me.. I'm personally perfer your choice. Thanks ...

Rogerst

Post by Rogerst » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:34 pm

I have several units: two 90 gallon and two 115 gallon AQ that have LED lights. I put dark tape over the blue lights to control algae. It has worked but there are still occasions that I have to remove a rock from the wall to soak and scrub it.

BlakeBrock

Post by BlakeBrock » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:39 am

Any updates on what would be the best pick. Was looking for my 100-gallon aquarium. Found this post but not sure which one to pick.

Any inputs from existing installations would help..

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”