Need Help Setting Up 120 Gallon Tank

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

JimmyFrontosa

Need Help Setting Up 120 Gallon Tank

Post by JimmyFrontosa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

Hi everyone, I'm setting up a 120 gallon tank and need help with choosing the right equipment. Any suggestions on what filtration system I should use for this size tank? Do I need a powerhead running in the tank for additional circulation? Suggestions on which heaters to use and how many?

Thanks!

deeda

Re: Need Help Setting Up 120 Gallon Tank

Post by deeda » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:11 pm

What species of fish are you planning on keeping? I see you have already purchased a canister filter.

Choosing a heater wattage would depend on the requirements of the species you plan on keeping and the average room temperature the aquarium would be located in. I usually use two to three watts per gallon of tank but I keep my basement at 70°F.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

JimmyFrontosa

Post by JimmyFrontosa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

Hi
I don't have a filter yet because i am not sure which one would give me the best filtration. As far as fish species, i am planing on having Malawi Lake fish.

slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 pm

I'd add a couple different types of filtration just to make sure you have some redundancy built in...although the amount of filtration required is going to depend on your stocking list.

Maybe start out with a couple of Marineland Emperor 400 BIO-Wheel Powerfilters, and supplement that with a Fluval 406 Multi-Stage Canister Filter...although, ideally, you'd probably want to setup a sump, which I have absolutely no experience with.

best of luck to you!

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”