115 gallon tank setup question

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

henry koon

115 gallon tank setup question

Post by henry koon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I built a stand long enough for a 75 and a 115 next to it. The 75 is sitting fine with contact on all sides but the 115 has gaps on one side and most of the back has a small gap. It looks like the bottom plastic is bowing a little bit. Is it ok to keep full like this or should I shim it off the stand so all sides have solid support? I can't decide. Please help.
Thanks
Henry

markh

Re: 115 gallon tank setup question

Post by markh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Henry,
If it were me, I would make sure all sides of the tank are supprted. Either by adding another board to the inside of the stand to surrprt the side with a gap or some other method. A 115 tank is a sizable investment and I'm sure you don't want to clean up that much water on the floor. I know I don't. :) If the boards happen to be bowed, you could sit the tank on 1/2" insulation panels and allow the tank to find its own resting place. Hope this helps.

Mark H.
Mark Huntington

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Are you talking about a gap between the tank frame and the stand where it would rest? I'd just add a sheet of styro foam insulation. Like you saw in my fish room. If you are talking about a gap between the stand and tank widthwise I'd add another board inside the current board, it's called sistering. It's when you attached board to the side of another.

henry koon

Post by henry koon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Thank you for all the help. I thought about the insulation But didn't have a chance to go to the store. The fish room is officially setup and ready for some tropheus and fronts. Baby tanks are waiting.

Thanks
Henry

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”