Two air pumps in one system

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Two air pumps in one system

Post by michi tobler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi guys, after starting all tanks in my fish room (all filtered through bubble filters), the air pressure is somewhat lower than I like. I have a second air pump. Can I hook up the second pump to the same circle? Or do I actually have to redo all the plumbing and create two independent circles (which would be very impractical considering the layout of the fish room).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

slimbolen99

Re: Two air pumps in one system

Post by slimbolen99 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't think you want two pumps pushing up against one another, although, I've never tried. I think it would be pretty easy to insert a T connector and ball valve separating the two loops...best of luck to you. Interesting idea nonetheless.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm

michi tobler wrote:Hi guys, after starting all tanks in my fish room (all filtered through bubble filters), the air pressure is somewhat lower than I like. I have a second air pump. Can I hook up the second pump to the same circle? Or do I actually have to redo all the plumbing and create two independent circles (which would be very impractical considering the layout of the fish room).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, m
I don't know for sure but it might not be a good idea, try adding a one way valve in-line in the outlet pipe of each pump, that way they would not be pusing against each other but against the one way valve. In other words air would enter the system and only "get out" via your "outlets".

Hope that helps.

nick a

Post by nick a » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 am

Sorry to say that it would be much easier/effective to either up-size your pump to adequately feed your single loop or do two separate systems.
The component costs (and accurate calculations) needed to install back-flow-prevention and the probability of significantly decreasing the working life of your undersized pumps (from increased heat etc...) makes the other option not worthy of pursuing in the long run IMHO.

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 am

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. The problem is: the pump I have is already the largest piston pump on the market. I decided to call the manufacturer today. He said that multiple piston pumps are good to be hooked up to the same system (as long as all of them have the same capacity). The model I have already has three pistons working in parallel, adding another pump would simply mean working six pistons in parallel. The key thing is to have enough outlets running for the pressure to release. Individual pistons are designed such that air does not flow back (in essence they act as a one way valve).
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Well you could hook up both. Someone mentioned about two pumps pushing up against each other. Well that is not going to happen since the pressure in the lines will find the weak point which is the opening.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm

yes. I use two pumps in parallel, but not only to increase pressure but more to have a backup pump in case one stops working. I saw a few times my friends lost entire fishrooms because of air pump failures. it will always happened while you are on vacation....

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Installed the second pump this afternoon. Got some water flow going now. The fish actually have to swim to stay in place...
Cheers, m

Website

nick a

Post by nick a » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:07 am

Apologies! My thoughts apply to captured/compressed systems & not to open-ended systems....of course the air pressure is going to take the path of least resistance--which should always be into the tanks! I also like the the idea of the pre-built-in redundancy---( it will always happened while you are on vacation) we call it Murphy's Law here Marko :lol:

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”