OCA C.A.R.E.S.

Purpose of OCA C.A.R.E.S. and How to Participate

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary

Andrew Schock

OCA C.A.R.E.S.

Post by Andrew Schock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 am

The OCA is a participant in the CARES preservation program. Below is information on the program and how to get involved.

The program is designed to preserve species that are threatened, endangered, extinct, etc. in the wild, for future enjoyment in the aquarium hobby. A large number of cichlids and some catfish can be found on the Species At Risk List which can be downloaded by clicking this link: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/CARES% ... 0Fu96QB-ww

The CARES preservation program relies on us, the hobbyists, to keep these fish, share them, and share information with other hobbyists, to help preserve them in our aquariums. Here is how to get involved and help preserve a species for years to come:

1. Examine the Species At Risk List, which is linked above. Look for all species you already keep, and any species you would be interested in keeping.

2. If you are already keeping a species on the list, fill out the attached Species Registration Form (see link below). You can submit your form to me at an OCA Meeting, or completed forms can be emailed. Fish are registered so that other participants can locate that species or information on that species. A list of all OCA Cares registrations is sent to the CARES preservation program quarterly.

Identification Note: It is important that all species are registered properly. If you have any doubts about the identification of your fish (or just want verification from experts), please email photos to the email address below, and they will be forwarded to CARES to be identified by experts.

3. If you see a species you would like to keep on the list, fill out the Preservation Search List (see link below). You can submit your form to me at an OCA Meeting, or completed forms can be emailed CARES will then attempt to locate the species by searching the lists of all CARES clubs.

You can also register your fish by posting the following information in this forum:
1. Your name
2. Email address
3. Name of the species at risk
4. Where you obtained your fish
5. Date you obtained your fish

If you get rid of your species-at risk, just let me know and I can remove them from the club registry.

For each registered species you will receive a certificate. Seals for your certificate can be earned for each year you keep the species, completing a species journal and publishing an article in the Buckeye Bulletin, having fry from your fish registered by an OCA member and having fry from your fish registered by a member of another club.

All forms can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing. I will also provide hard copies at monthly meetings.

To submit forms, ask questions, etc. please email [email protected]

I would encourage everyone to become involved in the program. You can also discuss and trade species-at-risk, and view the priority list on the C.A.R.E.S. facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/153148624721520/

Return to “C.A.R.E.S. Program”