Ruby jewel with deteriorating scales

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Fishtankowner

Ruby jewel with deteriorating scales

Post by Fishtankowner » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

I have jewels, zebras, convicts and one female oscar in a 75 gallon tank. They have been in this tank since December and seem quite happy, the convicts and jewels reproduce frequently and successfully. This jewel is smaller and has always held its fins tight, I have had it for over a year, with no signs of illness. This current scale issue as been slowly developing over the last month and is just now showing up on one other jewel. It eats like normal but otherwise hangs out at the top of the water. I feed them cichlid pellets and have not tested the water. Is this a fungal or something like velvet. http://imgur.com/a/hdbyQ

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Ruby jewel with deteriorating scales

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 am

Looks like a secondary infection on a fish that has had the crap beat out of him. Could have been the other Jewels, or possibly the Zebras. I would remove and isolate the injured fish to treat it, but the combination of fish in that tank is quite unusual, and not generally recommended. Eventually the Oscar alone will outgrow that tank, or at least cause it to be overcroweded. I suspect the Zebras are not fully mature, or are just maturing. At some point they will also be a major disruptor in that combination.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Fishtankowner

Re: Ruby jewel with deteriorating scales

Post by Fishtankowner » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 am

The Oscar is a very small one, the guy I got most of my fish from included her because she was being picked on in his tank. I have two zebra and they are about 6 inches and are deffinitly more aggressive then the jewels but the convicts definitely hold their own. I am around the tank all day as it is at my grandmother's and I am her caregiver, and no fish seems to be singled out. My plan is to do a fungal treatment incase it is a secondary infection.

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”