Sick Cichlid... see photo

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Jetta Earhart

Sick Cichlid... see photo

Post by Jetta Earhart » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi gang... this is my first post here. I'm hoping someone can help me identify what is going on with this fish. It is the only one in the tank that has been affected and it's been an on again / off again routine with this guy. It started as a general darkening of the fins several months ago and it appears to get worse, then better. The past week he has been sluggish and hiding, as he was today when I snapped the photo, but at other times his behavior seems perfectly normal. He's been in about a 60 gallon community cichlid tank at work for about 18 months and doesn't appear to be bullied or picked on. Water changes are preformed on about 45 to 60 day basis, with the media in the canister filter changed mid-point in between. I have searched this site and other web resources and I am at a loss for what is wrong. Thanks so much.

deeda

Re: Sick Cichlid... see photo

Post by deeda » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 am

The color changes in this fish are probably due to stress that you may not be seeing happen. What other fish are in the tank? What are the dimensions of the tank?

I also think your water change schedule is inadequate but that will also depend on the water parameter tests.

Do you test your water? If so, please post the results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

What brand and model filter are you using? The only media that usually needs to be changed in a canister filter is the fine pad or floss. It would be helpful to know what media you are using.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Kerenaak

Re: Sick Cichlid... see photo

Post by Kerenaak » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:51 am

The cichlid family is one of the largest groups of fish on the planet with over 650 species found throughout the world. Some of the most popular varieties originate from the Amazon Basin and the Great Rift Valley of Eastern Africa. Cichlids have become increasingly popular and are ideally suited as aquarium fish given a number of their traits including size and feeding requirements.

Feed requirements will vary, however most Cichlids readily take a range of pellets, frozen foods and most will benefit from some vegetable matter in the diet.

I hope your fish will get well soon.
Kerena

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”