Ridding tank of Malaysian trumpet snails

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

markw

Ridding tank of Malaysian trumpet snails

Post by markw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Keeping cichlids for over 40 years and I've never been as frustrated! I just lost 2/3 of my show tank of some beautiful w/c Tanganyikans, after all 3 filters shut down due to a gigantic explosion of these $&?# snails! I was away on business for 3 days and in that time, the snails completely clogged the impellers of 2 canisters and the sump running the fluidized bed. Tank crashed and thus the big loss. I've tried everything to kill them off including clown loaches, assassin snails, manually pulling them out, but yet they multiply faster than I can keep up with them. I have used copper in the past with tragic results, and am very hesitant to try it again.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to win this battle!
Thanks

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Ridding tank of Malaysian trumpet snails

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Assassin snails… but they are not guaranteed.

There is had-a-snail but that also means you had some fish too.

I would break down the tank, empty all the substrate, pitch it and start over… sorry but that is the ONLY way to get rid of them and that may not even do it if one or two survive in the filters and other equipment…. If you are a patient man; I used Clown Loaches as my snail assassins. I moved them from tank to tank.

I've had substrate or equipment dry for years and when I used it in a setup snails appeared!

Good luck.

Miguel Monteiro

Post by Miguel Monteiro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:43 am

A colony of other snails - anentome helena - solve the problem.

markw

Post by markw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks dan and Miguel, yesterday I added another 25 assassin snails, and another 6 clown loaches. Added a bottle trap with algae wafers to manually trap more and it's now been 3 days since last feeding. Each of the assassin snails is busy attached to and devouring a trumpet snail, and the loaches have been busy as well. Seems daunting when you see how many, and quickly these trumpet snails can reproduce, however I will be patient. Faced with tearing down that tank and trying to eradicate them that way is not something I look forward to. But these things are almost as bad as a serious case of bloat, and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
I lost several thousand of dollars in Tanganyikans with this issue! and now, aside from the cost! is the difficult part of replacing them. There just are not many reliable importers left, especially in Canada. Since relocating way out here to Calgary 3 years ago, I haven't been back to OCA, but looks like I just might have to consider that next fall again!
Thanks again!

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:13 pm

markw wrote:There just are not many reliable importers left, especially in Canada. Since relocating way out here to Calgary 3 years ago, I haven't been back to OCA, but looks like I just might have to consider that next fall again!
Thanks again!
Here in Canada, you can try Spencer Jack in Winnipeg, his latest list for Canada on this page:
http://cichlaholic.com/lists.html

If you do come to OCA in November, be sure to hook up with us fellow fish keepers from Southern Ontario ;)

deeda

Post by deeda » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:11 pm

You could probably catch more of the MTS by baiting them with fresh zucchini stuck on a fork to weight it down, it has worked for me. I've never had any luck with algae wafers.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Google this product "No-Planaria"

I use it to deal with MTS in my Tanga tanks and they ALL gone leaving behind piles of shells in a week !

Mooneater

Post by Mooneater » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 am

Apparently fenbendazol (which you can find in medicine against worms for fish and cats/dogs) also kills snails... (and accidentally rids your fish of worms as well).

tom evers

Post by tom evers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 am

I keep a large crayfish handy for my smaller tanks. I remove the fish put the crayfish in for a week or two and don't feed him. Works great for the small flat round snails, not sure about the trumpet s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can never have too many cichlids!

supafly

Post by supafly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 am

Sorry to hear about your lost MArk. I had a similar problem and sorry I could not give you any advice for erradicating these snails. I am however, very glad to have found you on here and seeing that you are still passionate about tangs. I took a few years off from freshwater and now I am back at it and looking for quality fish from someone like you.

I am new on here so cannot use the private message function so if you could please kindly pm me, we can chat.
It's Will from Calgary. thx.

markw

Post by markw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:46 am

Thanks to all who posted. I tried several things, but it looks like the No Planaria really works! Thanks amiidae! I hit the tank twice and looks like it took most of them out, so maybe one more treatment will do the trick!
Now to restock the tank. I guess I'll take out a second mortgage on the house and try and find some more wild caughts to fill it back up again!
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Cheers,
Mark

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted out.

This was an accidental discovery by a friend of mine and he recommended me this product. :)

Mooneater

Post by Mooneater » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:58 am

markw wrote:Thanks to all who posted. I tried several things, but it looks like the No Planaria really works! Thanks amiidae! I hit the tank twice and looks like it took most of them out, so maybe one more treatment will do the trick!
Now to restock the tank. I guess I'll take out a second mortgage on the house and try and find some more wild caughts to fill it back up again!
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Cheers,
Mark
Why not go for some F1 fish? Saves you a lot of money, and puts less pressure on the fish populations of the lake!

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”