Geo. Dicrozoster Bloat??

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Newguy5

Geo. Dicrozoster Bloat??

Post by Newguy5 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:37 pm

I had gotten a pair of wild G. Dicrozoster about a month ago. Within the last week the bigger of the two has gotten a swollen belly and has been breathing rapidly. It's the only fish with this problem and I've never dealt with this before in any of my tanks. My water conditions are perfect, only feed once a day (NLS). The fish is still acting normal (eating, swimming fine, chasing the smaller one a bit). Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? It's not getting better or worse from what I can tell. Here are two pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388345829.502656.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388345843.369434.jpg

Matt

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Geo. Dicrozoster Bloat??

Post by Florent » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 am

Yes, it could be bloat. Maybe because the food is too rich but one thing it's very important for eartheater : search food in the sand ... nearlly impossible for them in your tank.
They have to eat some detritus, inorganic parts to do well

Newguy5

Post by Newguy5 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:01 am

It's only 1mm extra fine gravel. All of them sift all day just fine. Have 3 tanks with nothing but eartheaters with the same substrate and never had a problem. Anyhow...I fed shelled peas last night to see if that would help.

Matt

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:46 am

most of what an eartheater will find in the sand - besides sand - is algae.

Algae are very rich in vitamins and minerals, and low in protein. If one would feed eartheaters with dead animals, the fish get too much protein, but also too little vitamins and minerals

not only bloat, but also deficiency illnesses are at risk in such a case. Thus feed veggie foos. With a shrimp every now and then instead of dead animals every day

Newguy5

Post by Newguy5 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 pm

They find they same stuff in the fine gravel as they would the sand. Like I said its only .5-1mm gravel. It's super fine and they sift it with no problems at all. I feed them NLS as a staple and the NLS H20 Wafers which contain vegetable matter and spirunila. Also feed shrimp pellets 1 time a week. So this isn't a good diet for them?

Matt

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”