From this - - - - To THIS!! Thanks Grummie2

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Jim Cumming

From this - - - - To THIS!! Thanks Grummie2

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Some months ago, a beautiful, large male Paraneetroplus melanurus came down with a series of maladies, one of which was "ducklips", believed to be caused by flexobacter, and another of the many bizarre ways that Columnaris displays itself. I had used a treatment suggested on line that had apparently been somewhat successful for others ('duanes' for one). Lower the water temperature and medicate with a combination of Kanamycin / Furan-2. Well, it eventually put the "ducklips" in remission.But a secondary infection broke out in the form of a large, festering ulceration between the fish's eyes. Here's a pic of him at his worst. To tell the truth, I didn't hold out much hope.
sick.JPG
sick.JPG (67.19 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
After trying a number of things (salt, melafix/pimafix, etc.) ,I was contacted by an experienced cichlid keeper from the UK (Grummie2) suggesting metronidazole could do the trick, treating it as HITH. It worked. In time, I introduced the male back into his former home, where he promptly got beat up by a pair of 'hartwegi'. I pulled him out minus scales and split fins and set him up to heal back in his old hospital tank. This was a couple of months ago. Now he is fully healed and I'm ready to reintroduce him again. The number of inhabitants of the tank (180G) has been reduced and I'll do some redecorating shortly before I put him in there. I'll make sure there are no pairs getting ready to spawn. And I will watch closely for any problems. The last thing I want to have happen is lose this fish through my own "stupidity". I owe it to him. Here he is today, all 12" of him. The bluish tint is the last traces of methylene blue which I had used to control his body fungus. Wish him (and me) luck. By the way, his "lady" is waiting for his return (sounds like a "soap opera", doesn't it.)
MVI_0378.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Grummie2

Re: From this - - - - To THIS!! Thanks Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 am

I'm so pleased he made a full recovery Jim, he looks wonderful now!!!!!
Graham

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”