Orange albino cichlid wont eat.

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Goddogo1

Orange albino cichlid wont eat.

Post by Goddogo1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 am

Ok, I purchased this cichlid from petsmarts 2 years ago. It has never acted this way before. when feeding time come it runs up to the food and the just stares at it, some times bumps it with its nose/mouth. The fish doesnt have a swollen belly, acts normal. Whats strange is the little pouchy thing under its mouth is bulging out. Its a female cichlid. Im guessing cause of the egg spots on the fin under tail. It usually lives in a cave I made for it in the tank but she is staying under the water flow and near my eels flat cave rock. My water quality is good, temp is good ph is good. Can any one shed light on my fishes ordeal? I may be able to post pics of her, so one can see what her head looks like with her throat poofed out.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Orange albino cichlid wont eat.

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Sure, this is actually easy. Your female is holding eggs. Is your fish a lone fish or are there others in with it? Do you know the species?

The best way to confirm she's holding eggs is to see if she's 'chewing' on the eggs (as if it's gum). What that is, is the female keeping the eggs moving. If she's alone, the eggs will not develop and in 4 days she'll be back to normal. If there are other cichlids in with her, and she's spawned with one; then she'll hold the eggs for approximately 3 weeks depending on water temperature.

Goddogo1

Post by Goddogo1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Its a orange albino lab. She is moving around the tank and she does look as if she is chewing or making the fish lips thing. Also it looks like her lips have lipstick on them? Like little red lips. Its not real red but you can see it. Also she started this when I had to put my mating pair of oscars in its tank because of a problem with their tank. The oscars stayed in her tank for about 3 days while I repaired their tank. Its not possible the male oscar's sperm got to her eggs? Or would them being in heat trigger her hormones to lay? She has no,other cichlid mates in her tank but she does have tank mates, a african spotted leaf fish and a tire track eel and a loach. They all get along good. I want to get another cichlid mate for her but alot of people says not to because she is a albino. I found males just like her and want to get them but really weary of seller.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Well, it's possible the oscars triggered her instincts. She would have spawned alone if those are her only fishy companions. The eggs are infertile, so they'll turn bad and in 4 days she'll be back to normal too. There's nothing to worry about.

Goddogo1

Post by Goddogo1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”