Concave stomach

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Post Reply
User avatar
Jshakour
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Concave stomach

Post by Jshakour » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 pm

I noticed a fish in one of my show tanks has a concave stomach and seems to be deterating. Any idea as to what this diease is and how to treat it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

User avatar
Jshakour
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Jshakour » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 am

After doing a bit more research, I think my fish has internal parasites, so I purchased some Metronidazole powder. I am going to try to mix it in with some NLS Thera-A. Can someone give me some pointers as to how to get the powder to stick to the food?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 am

James,

Will the fish eat?

You can "soak" the food in t it or make a solution and spray it. Your biggest problem will be getting them to eat it. Also, getting the right does into the fish. If you can set up a hospital tank and treat it individually it would work better, unless of course you feel your other fish are affected.

You can also employ some Epsom Salts. This will help clean him out. I use about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per ten gallons.

By the way, pictures always help in the diagnosis of a fish illnesses.

User avatar
Marko Lenac
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Rijeka - Croatia - Europe
Contact:

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Marko Lenac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Dan Woodland wrote:
You can also employ some Epsom Salts. This will help clean him out. I use about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per ten gallons.

By the way, pictures always help in the diagnosis of a fish illnesses.
sorry my ignorance, but how much is a cup? thank you!
Image

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Marko Lenac wrote:
Dan Woodland wrote:
You can also employ some Epsom Salts. This will help clean him out. I use about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per ten gallons.

By the way, pictures always help in the diagnosis of a fish illnesses.
sorry my ignorance, but how much is a cup? thank you!
No, not ignorance. Just a learning opportunity Marko.

A cup is 8 ounces or 250ml. See this link for more... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... sch&itbs=1

User avatar
Jshakour
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Jshakour » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Dan Woodland wrote:James,

Will the fish eat?

You can "soak" the food in t it or make a solution and spray it. Your biggest problem will be getting them to eat it. Also, getting the right does into the fish. If you can set up a hospital tank and treat it individually it would work better, unless of course you feel your other fish are affected.

You can also employ some Epsom Salts. This will help clean him out. I use about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per ten gallons.

By the way, pictures always help in the diagnosis of a fish illnesses.
Yes the.fish eat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 pm

That is half the battle. I believe Tetra sells a medicated food for just this purpose. I think RMS would have it. I don't know about other local stores.

User avatar
Jshakour
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Jshakour » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks Dan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

User avatar
Marko Lenac
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Rijeka - Croatia - Europe
Contact:

Re: Concave stomach

Post by Marko Lenac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 pm

thank you Dan!
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”