Does this bristlemouth have ich?

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

spartancichlid

Does this bristlemouth have ich?

Post by spartancichlid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Hello everyone :)

I am new to this forum. Very excited to be here!

Can anyone tell me if this pleco has ich infection? I didn't recall it has these white spots when I got him/her.

The reason I am concerned (maybe paranoid) is because 2 weeks ago I just restocked this tank with 7 botia loaches and this little guy. A week ago some of the loaches were infected with ich and within a few days... all 7 were gone :(. This pleco is the only resident of my 38 gallon tank at the moment and I am concerned about restocking it IF the pleco is sick with ich too.

Any advice? Thanks beforehand.
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-13 at 12.22.24.jpeg

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Does this bristlemouth have ich?

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:02 am

It's hard to say for certain because the photo is too small for a close view. From what I see, I think not. Loricarids rarely get ich compared to fish with small scales like loaches. Ich would appear as small hard white dots with defined borders (more like salt). Your fish appears to have white patches with 'fuzzy' borders, more likely to be a fungal infection due to damage or poor water quality.

I would not put any other fish in the tank until the problem clears. Then only put in fish that you, not anyone else, has quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks. In the long run, a small dedicated quarantine tank is less expensive than medication and/or losing fish.

spartancichlid

Post by spartancichlid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. You're right it is pretty hard to see from that angle. I will try to get a better angle.

Thanks for the tips as well :)

spartancichlid

Post by spartancichlid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and tips. I will definitely set up a quarantine tank in the near future. In the meantime, I managed to snap a picture of the pleco from a better angle. Any suggestion of what to do with this infection? I bought 2 other plecos together with this guy and put them in my larger tank with African Cichlids and two of them are fine... they do not show these white patches.
pleco.jpg
pleco.jpg (238.15 KiB) Viewed 775 times

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”