New to site - intro and a general question

For off topic posts, and friendly discussions
FreeFloat

New to site - intro and a general question

Post by FreeFloat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 am

Hi folks, new to the forums but not to cichlid keeping. For several years I raised and bred Malawi mbuna thanks to a batch of WC and F1s that I acquired from a friend who was getting out of the hobby; life intervened and I had to sell all my tanks a few moves ago.

Now that life is stable again I'm looking into starting up some tanks again. The thing I've noticed is that all the cichlids I'm seeing in local fish stores seem to be very poor strains with a lot of evidence of careless breeding. Not many retain species-specific characteristics - for example, L.caeruleus with obvious gray bands and missing their solid black fin markings. And some of the clubs and private importers I used to use no longer exist or have gotten away from cichlids.

This makes me really yearn to show the local community how properly bred cichlids SHOULD look...

Note: I'm in Ontario, Canada.

deeda

Re: New to site - intro and a general question

Post by deeda » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome to the forum!!

I agree that it can be difficult to find quality cichlids at local chain pet stores so I prefer to buy mine from private breeders, local fish clubs or good local fish stores in my area.

I didn't see a question in your post so was there something specific you were asking?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

FreeFloat

Post by FreeFloat » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:22 pm

LOL I probably did have a question in mind when I started the post - but by the time I finished my rather lengthy ramble, I'd forgotten what I was going to ask.

Pete B

Post by Pete B » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:17 am

It's the same here in the UK.
Some of the shops don't have a clue what they have in stock, let alone what they should look like.

Forums and facebook pages are full of "Can you ID my fish?"

The poor quality on sale in shops and from people who keep fry from any mating, regardless of if they are the same species, is the main reason I started keeping wild caught fish a few years ago.
Now, along with others, I'm putting quality young back into the hobby.

Return to “Lounge”