Ram ID

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Alex Odesit

Ram ID

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:30 am

Got 2 pair of Rams from the club action.
All It says on the bag is "Wild caught Rams". What kind they are?
Thanks,
Alex
Here the pictures:
Attachments
Rams all2.jpg
Ram female.jpg
Ram male3.jpg
Ram male2.jpg
Ram male.jpg
Ram.jpg

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Ram ID

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 am

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

You got yourself some nice fish. I'd love some wild rams.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 am

Lisachromis wrote:Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

You got yourself some nice fish. I'd love some wild rams.
Thanks for your quick reply Lisa. I was also wondering origin of these guys, they got donated to the club by ADAM'S PET SAFARI and I want to try to get in touch with him to see where these fish got caught.
Base on my initial research they originated to Colombia and Venezuela? I am not much of the dwarf cichlids guy... yet

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm a big advocate of having contact info - at least an email address - on every bag of fish at an auction.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:59 pm

agree. I got the store name and phone #. It was business card between the double bags. Still, like to know respectable CRC members opinion, in addition to the person who donate the fish.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm

These little guys settles down. Very active. I have a personal prove, when try to keep them at 75F, they are not that happy and show signs of itch. 3 -5 degree up and they perfectly fine again. Can't keep them cold.
Attachments
Ram male2.jpg
Ram male.jpg
Rams2.jpg
Rams.jpg

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 am

One pair starts the bonding process. Still allot of chasing all over 100 l tank.
Attachments
Rams pair R.jpg

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Unfortunately I lost 3 of 4 wild Rams (2 male and 1 female) due to the same illness. They were breezing hard, open and close mouth erratically, then stop eating, hide and eventually die.
The wild caught female seems overcome that and looks very happy/active/healthy now.
Several weeks after wild Rams past, I purchase 3 other young fish from reputable store. It is 2 male and 1 female, not sure the origin of these guys, but they do look different from the wild one I got before.
They also absolutely not fussy about the food opposite to the wild one.
3 days after I brought fish home, one of the male (smaller than my wild female) start sparing with her and later they lay clutch of very small eggs, which vanished couple days after, no surprise for young Rams first attempt.
Here some pictures of the fish and the aquarium where they currently live with bunch of wild Nanastomus Brekfordi and couple Corydoras Weitzmani.
First picture is not that great quality but you can see the eggs under female towards rear the tank.
Attachments
Wild Ram female on eggs.jpg
Wild Ram female bredding dress.jpg
Wild Ram female bredding dress
Ram young male.jpg
Ram young male
2 young male Rams.jpg
2 young male Rams
Wild shot.jpg

Csababá

Post by Csababá » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 am

Hi,
any other great pictures lately?
Cs

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:03 am

Csababá wrote:Hi,
any other great pictures lately?
Cs
Hi,'
When I have some I'll make sure to post it.
Alex

Csababá

Post by Csababá » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Thank you. I thought one could not keep so many rams in a tank like yours.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:15 am

Csababá wrote:Thank you. I thought one could not keep so many rams in a tank like yours.
Do you mean too small tank?
It is a little over 100 liters...2 pair have they own territory and seems pretty comfortable

Csababá

Post by Csababá » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Yes, I meant that. Good luck.

albert_abadicio

Post by albert_abadicio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 am

Alex Odesit wrote:
Csababá wrote:Thank you. I thought one could not keep so many rams in a tank like yours.
It is a little over 100 liters...2 pair have they own territory and seems pretty comfortable
I was guilty of this too. I used to keep 9 rams (4 males, 5 females) in a 20 gallon tank. They were kept together with a school of neon tetras to have some activity at the top. I scattered broken flowerpots allover the bottom and planted some Vallisneria. I just tried that setup to see if I can breed them at such a cramped space and raise the fry artificially. I was short in breeding tanks back then.

These rams were not wild caught though, but they were very prolific. You've got a nice collection there! Wild rams are pretty hard to come by here in the Philippines.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:41 am

albert_abadicio wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:
I was guilty of this too. I used to keep 9 rams (4 males, 5 females) in a 20 gallon tank. They were kept together with a school of neon tetras to have some activity at the top. I scattered broken flowerpots allover the bottom and planted some Vallisneria. I just tried that setup to see if I can breed them at such a cramped space and raise the fry artificially. I was short in breeding tanks back then.

These rams were not wild caught though, but they were very prolific. You've got a nice collection there! Wild rams are pretty hard to come by here in the Philippines.
Thanks. In my case it's only 4 Rams, 2 male and 2 female in 29 gal tank. They co-exist very well in heavy planted tank with breeding colony of Nanastomus beckfordi and pair Corydoras weitzmani.
Rams breed as well, but no fry yet. End up eating they own eggs.

albert_abadicio

Post by albert_abadicio » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 am

I see. Might be that your pair is still young. Sorry I failed to notice earlier but your substrate looks like the kind that would make the water hard. You may opt to change the substrate and see if it will result to successful hatching.

Best of luck on them!

Albert

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”