Kribensis Newbie

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Bucket_fish

Kribensis Newbie

Post by Bucket_fish » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:13 pm

First of all, I'm really sorry if a Kribensis is not under the dwarf cichlid. I'm relatively new to this fish and I'm thinking about getting one, but I want to know more about it first.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank, and how many Kribensis could I keep. (I was thinking 2.)

Thoughts are very appreciated.

Hudson Ensz

Re: Kribensis Newbie

Post by Hudson Ensz » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 pm

I personaly have never kept them but i researched them for you, hope it helps. ph 5-6. very soft water. you can easily keep a pair in there. i dont know if you can keep more then two, of that speices. they work great in community tanks they need hiding places. easy to breed. they are dwarf cichlids only attaining a size of 5 inches. african characins work good as tankmates. they like to sift the gravel. i am not sure if that helped at all bye
Please visit my cichlid blog at passionate4pikes.wordpress.com
Tanks, 16gal, 8gal, 35gal, 200gal pond, T. candidi hospital tank 1 gal.
A. sp. abacaxi, A. agassizii, A. gibbiceps (2 strains), A. pertensis(?), A. pacisquamis, A. sp, A. hippolytae.

Ricardo Fonseca

Post by Ricardo Fonseca » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Kribs will do well in almost any conditions just as not to extreme... not to acidic, not to alkaline!

I won't take long before a well settled couple stars breedind and it's fascinating.

Good decor are plants, logs and stones and a not too bright light!
Best Regards

Ricardo Fonseca

Portuguese Cichlid Association

Hassles

Post by Hassles » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 am

Kribensis are seriously pretty fish. The 'pulcher' is known as being more agressive and the 'taeniatus' (Nigerian Rd) is my personal favourite. The sexual dimorphism is extreme - male & female are extremely different although the females of the Kribensis varients all appear very similar while males are a "little" more dissimilar. Some can be exceedingly agressive during spawninfg / fry rearing. Both male and female usually share brood care. Kribs are lovely, affordable bottom dwellers, just don't expect to house them with Apistogramma - very ugly. I ain't sure how they'd go with Rams.
Tanks: 250L x 2, 180L x 1, 90L x 4, 72L x 2, 54L x 6, 40L x 2
A.cacatuoides (double red) / A.steindachneri / A.gibbiceps / A.borelli (opal) / A.nijsseni / A.jurensis / A.bitaeniata / - all German and A.hongsloi

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”