Apistogramma hoignei

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Dutch Dude

Apistogramma hoignei

Post by Dutch Dude » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 am

Yesterday I bought a small harem (1 male 2 female) of Apistogramma hoignei,....I hope! Unfortunately the shop owner mixed two batches of apisto's in one tank. The second specie is A. borellii. Males are easy to tell apart but this isn't the case with females. Can anyone offer me info on the diference between (young) females of A. hoignei and A borellii?

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Apistogramma hoignei

Post by Mike Wise » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 am

Female (and male) A. borellii have a much deeper body. The female will show at most a tiny indistinct caudal spot. This spot usually looks like part of the zigzag lateral band running into the tail. Female A. hoignei are a bit more elongated, more like most apistos. They have a caudal spot that is distinctly separated from the lateral band that often appears as a row of spots. I would look at the caudal spot first. If it is obvious, then it's A. hoignei; if it isn't, then it's A. borellii.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks Mike for the info. I still have some questions,.....I have 2 females. One shows no line for most of the time but if she does it is a line. The second female shows all the time a doted line and darker edges of the fins and a strong bar across the eye. The dotted line begins with 3 strong dots and fade to the tail. No caudal spot visible. Both fish are quit small and abouth 1/2 an inch. So with this information female one (with the line) is most likely a Borellii and female 2 a Hoignei?

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:40 pm

sorry double post

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 pm

At ½", I doubt that the fish are even sexable. I would wait a couple of months to see what you really have. At this size it's better to buy small groups of fish.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:47 am

Thanks so much Mike for the help. The one female I suspected to be hoignei died on me unfortunately. The second female was most likely a borellii and I returned her back to the lfs. I was wrong abouth the size and she was abouth 3/4 inch (TL) in size. The male must be abouth 1 1/2 inch or maybe a bit larger.

Watching the catalogue in the shop and looking close to the points you mentioned I'm quit sure I selected 3 female hoignei.

Mike,....are their things I should know abouth the specie? I'm an experienced fish keeper but this is only the second time I keep Apisto's. I know the basics of the caves and soft water and so on. They will be in a 90 gallon tank with some small tetras and a group of very friendly adult Guianacara stergiosi (=Rio Caroni) with lots of wood, and lots of hiding places and territorial markers. The water is soft (conductivity of 270 micro Siemens, PH=6.5, KH=1) and the light level is low. The wood provides lots of cave like aria's and I will add some coconut caves as well.

Again,...thanks a lot for your help!

Ruurd

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:11 pm

You should have no problems keeping your A. hoignei in such water conditions. Good food, good water, and you should have them breeding in the tank, too.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 am

Thanks for all the information and help!

Yesterday I was quit convinced I bought 3 females but today they feel happier in their temporarily home and show slightly more color,.....and at least 3 of them show red in the tail,....so of the 6 fish I have at least 3 males. So I'm not to happy abouth this! I catch some and go back to the lfs again half way next week to switch out again. The size of the fish makes it hard to determine sex and probably they are fish from 2 batches which explains the size diference.

Yesterday I did had a good laugh when I put the bag in the tank with the largest male. He is so curious, haha! Probably detected the males long time before I did.

And is this a female hoignei or a female borellii??? She does have the strong black dot on the tail but also got a sort of zigzag line.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:02 pm

The last photo shows A. borellii. The caudal spot is tiny & it has a zigzag lateral band. A. hoignei will have a spot 2 - 3 X the size of the one on the borellii. Female A. hoignei won't show red markings on the tail.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 am

I suspected her to be a female borelli but I didn't know for sure. The hoignei don't show the spot that much and most of the time not even the dotted band. Most likely these fish are males. In the shop the fish were paler but when they were for several hours in my tank they showed some red in the tail so those are definitely male. I do have a female amongst them so I will have one pair. I was aiming for a small harem and I hope I will succeed on that. Would it be possible to keep 2 males in my tank? Here is a pic of the tank. It is 48 long and 20 wide and 24 high.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 am

Dutch Dude wrote:Would it be possible to keep 2 males in my tank? Here is a pic of the tank. It is 48 long and 20 wide and 24 high.
In that tank there should be no problems.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:31 pm

YES!!! I was hoping for that answer (-;

Today I went back to the lfs and turned 3 fish in (amongst them the female Borelli) and came home with only one female hoignei. Oooh boy oooh boy did they get a wrong ratio of female and male hoignei. I already had one female and we could only detect a second one. That is 2 female out of approximately 25 fish! So hopefully I end up with 2 pairs.

Mike,....THANK YOU very much for all the info and help :thumb:

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”