Dither Fish

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
StephenMidTN

Dither Fish

Post by StephenMidTN » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 am

Hi All,

I'm wondering what the most popular dither fish among dwarf cichlid breeders is. I keep and breed Blue Rams (Mikrogeogaphus ramirezi) and Columbian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus).

Over the years I have used various small tetras and Cherry Barbs (Puntius titteya) as dither fish. Lately I have been using Dwarf Pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus). What are others using?
Stephen

EC

Re: Dither Fish

Post by EC » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:09 pm

StephenMidTN wrote: What are others using?
Nannostomus marginatus too.

Ciao Enrico

Lab

Post by Lab » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Hatchet fish (a few different species), other pencilfish (Nannostomus spp., Nannobrycon eques etc.), wild type guppys work nicely too. Something like the newly described galaxy rasbora (Celestichthys margaritatus) would probably work out fine.
You could also use tetra species, but they tend to very effective fry predators.

Lars
Best regards,

Lars

StephenMidTN

Post by StephenMidTN » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi Lars!
Lab wrote:You could also use tetra species, but they tend to very effective fry predators.
Exactly. :wink: That's why I eventually gave up on them as good dither fish, although I did manage to raise a number of spawinings of Apistogramma aggassizi many years ago with 10 Glowlight Tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus ) as dither fish. :shock:
Stephen

fishboykaps

Post by fishboykaps » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:11 am

I haven't breed dwarfs in a while but i use to use Feeder guppies/ fancy guppies

pk333

Post by pk333 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:51 am

My personal favourite, marbled hatchetfish.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Nice choice.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 am

Some of the mild mannered goodeids have worked well for me in the past with Apistos like the blue tail goodeid, Ataeniobius toweri. Also used livebearers like guppies and mosquitofish. For my Shelldwellers, I used mollies and It's worked fine.

I also like to use some Danio and Rainbow types. I have also used young Rosy barbs in the past.

Recently I left some inch long Pelmatichromis nigrofasciatus in a tank that I put my M. ramerizi in and they actually worked well, even though it was an accident. They bred, and it helped the pair bond. I think a lot of things can work and sometimes we just go with the classic dithers.

Hassles

Post by Hassles » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 am

I have successfully used Golden Pencilfish in a few Apisto tanks and found that Black Neons worked a treat when breeding A.gibbiceps. These neons still reside with the gibbiceps!! I have also employed Spotted Blue-Eye (Pseudomugil Gertrudae) and Honey Blue-Eye (Pseudomugil Mellis) although I have a distinct preference for the nonostomus varients although beckfordi is best avoided as advised by those who have experienced them.
Last edited by Hassles on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanks: 250L x 2, 180L x 1, 90L x 4, 72L x 2, 54L x 6, 40L x 2
A.cacatuoides (double red) / A.steindachneri / A.gibbiceps / A.borelli (opal) / A.nijsseni / A.jurensis / A.bitaeniata / - all German and A.hongsloi

dwarfpike

Post by dwarfpike » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Harelquin rasboras and the three various phantom tetra species.
Chris Morris

Robo

Post by Robo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 am

I am setting up a tank to breed Rams and maybe Apistos for the first time. I was planning on using serpae tetras as dither fish, but am somewhat concerned at the description of tetras as "efficient fry predators". Has anyone used serpaes, or have any thoughts on whether they would be good dither fish? Also, I have had a pleco in the tank cleaning up algae, but I suppose he needs to go before the breeding (hopefully) begins? Thanks for your help.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 am

Serpaes would be a bad choice in my opinion. They are fast little hunters (ever see these guys at feeding time? :shock: ). Pencilfish would probably work a little better for you. And yes, the pleco would most likely have to go as well. The pleco would eat the eggs at night.

Microman

Post by Microman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 pm

The vast majority of Pencilfishes work very well but there are reports of N beckfordi predating upon Apistogramma fry. The very small tetra species Axelrodia reisei and Axelrodia stigmatias both also work very well indeed....
Mark....

pk333

Post by pk333 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:38 pm

I have found that N. beckfordi are very effective fry predators. I have had them in tanks with both L. curviceps and L. dorsigera, and they picked off any stray fry, and the older the fry, the harder it is for the parents to keep them together.

Robo

Post by Robo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, no pencilfish readily available, so I am going to try white clouds. The tank temp (81F) might be a little warm for them, but they seem to be doing well so far. No fry yet, but they are not bothering the apistos.

MJDean

Post by MJDean » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 pm

I keep my Rams in a 50 gallon tank with a school of Green Neon and Cardinal Tetras. I also have a few small Red Line Pencil fish.

Vincentcnbres

Post by Vincentcnbres » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm

pk333 wrote:My personal favourite, marbled hatchetfish.

Nice !

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”