Apistogrammas

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
MaryPa

Apistogrammas

Post by MaryPa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:59 pm

The excitement never ends!!!! Yesterday I got 2 pair of Czech apistogrammas. A pair of Blue Borellis and Apistogramma Triple Reds Cacatuodies . :lol: They`re in a 10 gal Q tank b ut look like they`re at home already. Why did I wait so long to get into the tiny Dwarfs?? I has German Blue Rams but never had anything like these adoreable Apistos

DENCIO

Post by DENCIO » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:36 am

nice to hear that Marypa. i also have a 10 gals apisto tank and all i can say is they are really adorable and cute little cichlid. :D

MaryPa

Post by MaryPa » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 am

I broke down and got a couple more 10 gals so i can one pair to their own home. It looks like I just might set up my fishroom again this spring. :)

DENCIO

Post by DENCIO » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:32 am

good luck :D

Con-Man-Dan

Post by Con-Man-Dan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:07 pm

a small fish room of apisto tanks would be lovely!

mematrix

Re: Apistogrammas

Post by mematrix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 am

MaryPa wrote:The excitement never ends!!!! Yesterday I got 2 pair of Czech apistogrammas. A pair of Blue Borellis and Apistogramma Triple Reds Cacatuodies . :lol: They`re in a 10 gal Q tank b ut look like they`re at home already. Why did I wait so long to get into the tiny Dwarfs?? I has German Blue Rams but never had anything like these adoreable Apistos
:oops: :lol: Hi MaryPa I am wondering if you got your czeck apistos from the new guys http://www.twofishguyz.com . Reason i ask is i am expecting some from them thur 2 discus and 4 species of apistos. I am quite excited :shock: :lol: :P about it looking fwd to getting some czeck bred fish. I have 16 dif species of apisto currently majority are set up in 10 gal species tanks.

Sincerely Curtis

MaryPa

Post by MaryPa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes Curtis I got them from Ryan at Twofishguyz. you`re going to love the Discus, they`re beautiful and very healthy looking. I`m hopeing to get different apisto when he get`s them in.

mematrix

Re to Mary

Post by mematrix » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:46 pm

:P Most excellant I thought that was where you got them since you said PCzech bred and you live in PA It was a guess. My Girlfriend is actually getting the Discus she will be very happy Im the apisto freek amongst us but i feel I am wearing off on her though LOL. My fish from Ryan arrive tomorrow/ LOL

Curtis
31 tanks 16 dif apistos 3 oth S.A. dwarfs 2 oth african dwarfs killirs angels,carfish,tetras, http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

mematrix

recieved fish

Post by mematrix » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi You were right I am very pleased only lost 1 the agassizi female. Ryan rememberd you when I mentioned you to him Mary thanks for easing my worries first time with them and will not be the last I recomend them

Curtis
31 tanks 16 dif apistos 3 oth S.A. dwarfs 2 oth african dwarfs killirs angels,carfish,tetras, http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/

apistomaster

Post by apistomaster » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:42 pm

I have had some problems with Apistogramma from the Czech Republic. They are often very nice large breeders.

Try to spawn them quickly as the loss of one of the breeders happens to frequently. Those that live long seem to be nearing the end of their reproductive lives.

This just my experience and as they say, results will vary.
Larry Waybright

CichFreak

Post by CichFreak » Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 pm

I don't want to rain on anyone at all, but I would speak a word of caution with regard to Czech bred fish in general, not just apistos.

I have imported for several years and have also dealt with a number of European sources. One problem which I would have to consider major is the high possibility of of bringing in fish tuberculosis from Czech bred fish. This is a very common disease that I have seen in a variety of fishes coming from these sources. In talking to some colleagues such as David S, he said that Uwe Romer won't touch Czech fish (literally won't touch them) because of their reputation. It is pretty contagious stuff, and on top of that it incurable so you can really be taking a gamble. Inexperience folks who see the opportunity to get into a variety of "rare" fish at low prices, without dealing with importing wild stock will often jump at Czech bred fish, but beware because even the importers may not be aware of this issue, and the Czech supplier sure isn't going to look for trouble. Aside from that you will, on the majority, be dealing with very inbred stock from a Czech resource. While some suppliers have been better than others in terms of health and overall quality, I have invariably seen a strong degree of inbreeding issues when dealing with Czech Apistos. They probably don't get a lot of new blood over there very regularly and they may have to start off with a small group in the first place. Admirably they are able to keep a pretty regular supply of some rare fish available, but what we end up seeing is a lot of deformities and health issues. Compared to the stock I've seen from good breeders right here in the US, their cacatuiodes are atrocious, to name one. Many species display stunted finnage, stocky bodies, bulging eyes and so on. Apistomaster also had a good point. It's not always the case, but often you will get nice big fish that are impressive to look at and might be perfect for the casual collector, but to a breeder this would not be the best starting point.

All that said, I have also gotten some very nice fish out of Europe and have been very happy to have them, but when you average it out they are not the ideal resource for getting Apistos and it may have its inherent risks. If you are not overly ambitious in your Apisto hobby don't worry about it, and if you like your fish that's the most important thing. Just don't let anyone tell you that Czech fish are the best way to go--especially if they are the ones that want to sell them to you.
Professional Aquarium Propagator

http://www.thedigitalfishroom.com

davidz

Post by davidz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Old post but good, info
What are our options in the USA

ashleyco

Post by ashleyco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 pm

good luck

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:26 pm

davidz wrote:Old post but good, info
What are our options in the USA
There are several breeders and suppliers of good quality apitos out there. Check on aquabid and some of the apisto forums for ideas.

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”