Dwarf cichlids

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Fish_guycichlids

Dwarf cichlids

Post by Fish_guycichlids » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi! I'm new to this, am I alright with setting up a 40 gallon breeder heavily planted as a dwarf cichlid tank containing the following: checkerboard cichlids, pelvicachromis pulcher, German blue Rams and curviceps. Obviously in pairs, any advise and corrections would be greatly appreciated

Fish_guycichlids

Re: Dwarf cichlids

Post by Fish_guycichlids » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Actually taking away the curviceps and might do checkerboards in 3 or 4

Fish_guycichlids

Post by Fish_guycichlids » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 am

Sorry if I messed that up I meant the checkerboards in groups of 3 or 4 and the kribs and Rams in pairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 am

This is a bad idea IMHO. West African dwarfs communicate aggression/submission very differently than South American dwarfs. This leads to some terrible territorial fights - and often deaths. Rams should be kept at temperatures higher than most other tropical fish. They are much more delicate and susceptible to diseases if kept at more typical lower temperatures. I suggest you do some reading on the requirements of the species in which you're interested.

Fish_guycichlids

Post by Fish_guycichlids » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 am

Ok thank you. I think I will try anyways i also will have hatchetfish as dither fish ASWELL as panda garras and otocinclus

krazykilroy

Post by krazykilroy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 am

Mike Wise wrote:This is a bad idea IMHO. West African dwarfs communicate aggression/submission very differently than South American dwarfs. This leads to some terrible territorial fights - and often deaths. Rams should be kept at temperatures higher than most other tropical fish. They are much more delicate and susceptible to diseases if kept at more typical lower temperatures. I suggest you do some reading on the requirements of the species in which you're interested.
Exactly what temperature should they be kept? I was thinking about purchasing some Rams, since PetSmart had some available. but it isn't like they're really trying to take specific care for these guys.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 am

M. ramirezi (Orinoco Ram) does best if kept above 29°C/84°F. M. altispinosus and M. sp. Zweifleck handle normal aquarium temperatures very well.

melanotheron

Post by melanotheron » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 am

What is M. sp. Zweifleck?!?! Never heard of that. Can you post pictures of it?
Thanks!
Jim

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am

There's a youtube video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu-H2UyMnA4

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”