Pelvicachromis "taeniatus"... don't think so

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
jessbullock

Pelvicachromis "taeniatus"... don't think so

Post by jessbullock » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello all,
Late in March I bought a few 3/4" fry at auction labelled as Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Dehane'.
I think I got hosed.. cause they sure look like pulcher to me, but I've never kept either before.

Male

Female

Sorry they're washed out, I just had my hand in the tank to clean the glass.

I know it's always buyer beware at auction, but this is the first time in 15+ years this has happened to me.
I'm not mad, just worried that the seller doesn't even know they're not taeniatus.. (if I'm correct)
Jessica Bullock
Hamilton & District Aquarium Society
http://www.hdas.ca

Grummie2

Re: Pelvicachromis "taeniatus"... don't think so

Post by Grummie2 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:13 am

Yep, sorry to say 100% ordinary kribs. You would expect people taking fish to that kind of event to have some basic (in this case very basic) knowledge of the fish they're breeding. Sorry you've been duped!
Graham

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am

If you know who the seller is, I would contact them for two reasons. First, as you noted, they may not be aware of what they have, and it would be a shame for those to be passed on to others with a mistaken identity.

However, there is another possibility. It is possible the person has both species, and accidentally labelled the bags incorrectly, or bagged up the wrong fish. I've gotten fish at an auction where labels had been switched on bags of very small fry. I thought I was buying Nics and ended up with dovii! Didn't know for a couple of weeks, as the fry were extremely small, and I only bought them because it was going very cheap late in the auction.

The important thing is, CONTACT THE SELLER. If they did not know, they may appreciate the news, or they may refuse to believe you, but you will have at least made the effort. If they accidentally got the wrong label on the bag, they could offer to provide you with what you thought you were getting.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Fish_guycichlids

Post by Fish_guycichlids » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 am

Yeah those r just pulcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:31 am

Jessica,

I had the same exact thing. Someone 'up' there is selling regular kribs as taeniatus 'Dehane'. I don't think it's on purpose. Mine turned into fantastic looking kribs, but just that... kribs. Wish I knew who it was so they could be corrected. Ted Judy saw mine in person and when he said, they're just a nice krib, I was not happy!

JHG

Post by JHG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Same thing happened to me as well Lisa. Someone picked up the fish from a Canadian club auction but when I got them I was suspicious. Had a few ppl confirm my suspicions, Ted being one of them too.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”