Apistogramma atahualpa? WC

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
DRE

Apistogramma atahualpa? WC

Post by DRE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I think this is the species I have. Any one that can confirm this?

I am super exited I have just got 5 Apistogramma atahualpa. I did buy a group of four half a year ago, but they all turned out to be females. Now a new shipment came and I bought 4 more. I had saved one female from last and they came from same loocation as the first ones. I'm trying to find out were that might be, but they are bought through Glaser so I'm not sure that will be possible.

I keep them in a 720 liter tank with no other species as of now. How do I make these little beatuties like there stay as much as possible?
pH range for them to spawn? How important is the hardness of the water?

Also other information on the species would be really interesting. I believe the females have yellow on their pelvic fins while males have only a small light line and the border of the pelvic fin. Is this valid difference? Other sex differencies?

Some photos:
My "old" female:

Newcomers:
Possible female?!

Possible male:
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Apistogramma atahualpa? WC

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, your fish look like young A. atahualpa. This species originates from the middle Río Nanay, but collectors have introduced it to areas closer to Iquitos. It is easier for them to collect now. I think that the bottom fish is a young male. Males will develop extensions on the front dorsal spines when mature. Females do not. Females (and juveniles) show dark front ventral fin spines/membranes. Males are mostly pale. This fish tends to be more aggressive than most apistos, but if 2 fish form a breeding pair it usually lasts for a long time. This fish comes from blackwater and needs a pH~6.0 or lower and soft water for successful reproduction.

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”