Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
FishFan

Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor

Post by FishFan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I've been looking for Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor for quite a long time. I finally got a pair in the spring but never saw any fry. The pair was in a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants for hiding (overturned flower pots and lots of driftwood) and a sponge filter. The temp was 78 degrees, PH 7.0 and they got water changes weekly.

The female I got was just an inch and the male was more than twice her size. He was chasing her too much so I put her in her own tank. When I put them back together, I kept watching for her to be holding and nothing.

Unfortunately the male died...not too sure why. So I'm on the hunt for more. This time around, I'm hoping someone can tell me what I could do better next time.

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor

Post by Don Hiatt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 pm

I tried the same set up several years ago while trying my luck with this species.

My male killed my female even though I had dithers in the tank. Is it a possibility that you could locate a few extra females when getting a new male? I feel it could increase your chances of success.

notorioussway

Re: Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor

Post by notorioussway » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I had a trio pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae, 2 or more females is best as to spread the males aggression. They were in a 15g with some plant, I was feeding them NLS pellets and blackworms to condition them and mine spawned within the first two weeks of getting and and then seemed the breed regularly once every 1-2 months. They had a unbelievable amount of fry, one small 1.5" female would hold up to 40 really tiny babies.

My advice would be more females and slightly bigger tank and use blackworms to condition them to breed.

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”