Apistogramma Study Group

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Apistogramma Study Group

Post by Don Hiatt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows what the present status of the Apistogramma Study Group is?
Are they still around? Their webpage appears to be dead.

Regards
Don

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Apistogramma Study Group

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:46 am

The ASG has been 'defunct' (as an active organization with a newsletter) for about 10 years now. Like many of the other study groups, its members have moved mostly to on-line sites.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 am

The ASG has been 'defunct' (as an active organization with a newsletter) for about 10 years now. Like many of the other study groups, its members have moved mostly to on-line sites.

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike. I see their webpage is still listed on Google. It just doesn't go anywhere when you click the link.

Any recommendations on getting good Apisto info? Books or otherwise? There doesn't appear to be much interest on this site on that particular subject.

Don

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 am

The more people that ask questions, the better information we'll have. I'd love this section to be bigger since Apistos are one of my favourite types of cichlids.

Mike will have a better list of Apisto books, but these are the ones in my personal library.

DWARF CICHLIDS

Complete Book of Dwarf Cichlids
Hans-Joachim Richter
TFH 1989

Aqualog Extra: The Latest Apistogramma
Dieter Bork
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 2005

Aqualog: Southamerican Cichlids II
Ulrich Glaser sen & Wolfgang Glaser
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 1996

Lisachromis
Administrator

South American Dwarf Cichlids
Hans J. Mayland and Dieter Bork
Verlag A.C.S. GmbH 1997

American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids
Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck
Tetrapress 1994

Dwarf Cichlids
Dr. Jörge Vierke
TFH 1988

Lisachromis
Administrator

Dwarf Cichlids : Keeping & Breeding Them in Captivity
David E. Boruchowitz
TFH

One day.... I'll look into more urls in one post.

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for your suggestions Lisa! I haven't purchased a Cichlid book since the ACA Convention in NJ. That is about to change.

Pretty much burned out on keeping large greyish colored fish. Looking to try something new.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, you'll have lots of choices!!

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

Most, no all, of the books on South American dwarf cichlids are old and most have many fish mis-identified. Most of the books recommended previously are OK for a beginner, but there are much better books out there. I cannot recommend the Aqualog book "Southamerican Cichlids II". It is old (1996) and at least 15-20% of the apistos pictured in it are mis-identified. IMHO it is only useful for asking for correct IDs of fish based from each picture's code. A much better picture book for ID purposes is the Sonderheft/Special Publication by DATZ: "Südamericanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids". It was published in 2005. Other than undescribed species that now have scientific names and species discovered since 2005, it is about 98% accurate in its IDs and names. Like the Aqualog book, the limited text is in both German and English. (Disclaimer: I am one of the contributors to this pub). The best text books (not just pictures) for ID and other information like biotopes, and breeding, etc. are 2 German books by Ingo Koslowski (Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt (1985) and Die Buntbarsche Amerikas 2: Apistogramma & Co. (2002). Species in these books are accurately ID'd for the most part and collecting/biotope data come from many noted collectors. These books are only published in German, but I have English translations for those who own the books. Römer's "Cichlid Atlas vol. 1 (2000) & 2 (2006)" are pretty good, too. Both books have more mis-ID'd species than the Koslowski books, but both include excellent research and very good information on species biotopes and breeding. They are expensive, but each is over 1000 pages long with many photos.

I am a member of several other fora that deal with dwarf cichlids besides CRC: ACA forum, apistogramma.com, and Das Zwergbuntbarsch Forum. Can anyone recommend any others that are good?

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 am

Mike Wise wrote:Most, no all, of the books on South American dwarf cichlids are old and most have many fish mis-identified. Most of the books recommended previously are OK for a beginner, but there are much better books out there. I cannot recommend the Aqualog book "Southamerican Cichlids II". It is old (1996) and at least 15-20% of the apistos pictured in it are mis-identified. IMHO it is only useful for asking for correct IDs of fish based from each picture's code. A much better picture book for ID purposes is the Sonderheft/Special Publication by DATZ: "Südamericanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids". It was published in 2005. Other than undescribed species that now have scientific names and species discovered since 2005, it is about 98% accurate in its IDs and names. Like the Aqualog book, the limited text is in both German and English. (Disclaimer: I am one of the contributors to this pub). The best text books (not just pictures) for ID and other information like biotopes, and breeding, etc. are 2 German books by Ingo Koslowski (Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt (1985) and Die Buntbarsche Amerikas 2: Apistogramma & Co. (2002). Species in these books are accurately ID'd for the most part and collecting/biotope data come from many noted collectors. These books are only published in German, but I have English translations for those who own the books. Römer's "Cichlid Atlas vol. 1 (2000) & 2 (2006)" are pretty good, too. Both books have more mis-ID'd species than the Koslowski books, but both include excellent research and very good information on species biotopes and breeding. They are expensive, but each is over 1000 pages long with many photos.

I am a member of several other fora that deal with dwarf cichlids besides CRC: ACA forum, apistogramma.com, and Das Zwergbuntbarsch Forum. Can anyone recommend any others that are good?

It's a shame, I always thought the Aqualog books were pretty good. I have "South American Cichlids III" and was impressed with the overall polish of it. Granted, I thought the same of TFH books until I saw the same picture used for "C" festae and "C"urophthalmus. There were many other similar instances with TFH, but they are not coming to me at this time. Not very confidence inspiring to say the least.

I am still going to give a handful of the books mentioned a shot keeping in mind that I plan on taking the info at face value.
I always end up double checking and cross referencing.

I have seen you on apistogramma.com. It seemed like a pretty good site dedicated to dwarf species. A quick search of the Interwebs brought me to that site and a few others.

Apito's are a completely new thing to me. The last two decades of my life have been pretty much dedicated to maintaining Central American species with a few tanks dedicated to some rift valley species. Mostly Victorian Hap's and Tanganyika Shell Dwellers.

I am attempting to shift gears from larger fish to smaller fish that are much easier for me to maintain. To be perfectly honest. I have been longing to maintain a "community" tank for years.

Sorry guys, I am burned out on having grey fish randomly kill each other after failed attempts at spawning. This may happen with Apistos, but at least the females would be able to get away from overzealous males in the large tank I plan to provide for them.

My ultimate goal is an Amazonian biotope aquarium with a mix of smaller Cichlids and shoals of Tetras and Corys.

Many thanks for the replies.

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”