Wild Apisto Kelleri

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
MonteSS

Wild Apisto Kelleri

Post by MonteSS » Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 am

My wild Kelleri wont cooperate for me. I am 99% sure they are male and female. The female is shy and does not come our alot. The big male chases her into cover if she does. She is at least 2" and stays white. Only other fish in the 24" 26g are some black neons. PH 7.2. temp 72-76*. I feed flake, veggie flake and 1mm pellets

I am going to sell them in hopes that someone more experienced than me and with more suited water conditions and live food can get them to breed.

I finally got a video of her by setting up a tripod. Do females usually display to their reflexion like this? The bigger male does it all the time.

So is she a female? I dont want to deceive any potential buyer.

She comes into frame around the 2 minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmOYpYs5hk

And male
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3gup9Xvhhs

Thanks....Bill

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Wild Apisto Kelleri

Post by Mike Wise » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

Yes, it is a female A. sp. Kelleri and yes female apistos are as territorial as males - if not more! I see several problems that you have: 1. Atahualpa-group species can be choosy about their mates, sort of like nijsseni-group species. Not every male and female are compatible. 2. Atahualpa-group species are large and fairly aggressive apistos. A 24" tank is rather small unless the pair is very compatible. 3. Your water conditions are not conducive to breeding. You need soft (< 3°dKH), acid (<6.2 pH) to assure successful reproduction. When I was in Kelleri's collecting location, the water measured at pH 5.5 and 35µS/cm. 4. Dry foods are not the best method to condition apistos for breeding. Most - particularly wild specimens - only eat it as a last resort. Live and frozen foods are definitely better. If you aren't willing to provide the needed conditions, you would be better off if you sold them or used them in a non-breeding community tank.

MonteSS

Re: Wild Apisto Kelleri

Post by MonteSS » Mon May 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks again Mike.

....Bill

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”