Apistogramma steindachneri

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
Rupununi

Apistogramma steindachneri

Post by Rupununi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 pm

I have a trio of new Apistogramma steindachneri, 2 females, 1 male. They have been wonderful additions to my Guyana biotope thus far. Anyone here with experience with this species? Breeding tips?

Here are some photos.

slimbolen99

Re: Apistogramma steindachneri

Post by slimbolen99 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 am

Beautiful tank and fish. Never tried these, but have them on my "want" list. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

This species was 'common as dirt' 30 years ago. Often it was the only apisto commercially available. The aren't as common now. Keeping and breeding should be no problem. Clean water, good food (frozen and live), and time is all that is needed for them to spawn. Water values are not important as long as extremes are avoided. I once had a pair spawn and raise fry in a 5 gallon aquarium with 30, 1/2 in. (35 mm) Platies. They protected the fry and really didn't harm the platies. I don't recommend this breeding set-up. The pair were in the tank only for a short period, to separate them from another breeding apisto. The fish had other ideas! :D

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 am

Nice input Mike, I didn't realize they were common. People often think (me as well) that only ABC-Apistos were easy to get previously.
Cheers
Piotr

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Piotr, what are ABC-Apistos? Could it be Agassizi - Borellii - Cacatuoides? When I look what's regularly in the trade here, this seems plausible, but its only a guess.

I am far from being an expert for this genus, nevertheless, A. steindachneri is one of my favorite aquarium fishes. I have kept it twice in the 1990s but I did not succeed in breeding it. Unfortunately I have not seen this species for many years now, though it may (hopefully) still be available in Germany.

Rupununi

Post by Rupununi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for the input so far. Surprising that no one from this esteemed group has this fish now or has breeding tips. It sounds like it has become a rather uncommon fish in the trade. Now I really want to breed them!

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 am

Rico Morgenstern wrote:Piotr, what are ABC-Apistos? Could it be Agassizi - Borellii - Cacatuoides? When I look what's regularly in the trade here, this seems plausible, but its only a guess.
Hehe Rico, you're right, and sorry for such abbreviations - I've found it on one of German forums :D
Cheers
Piotr

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am

I'd replace borellii with bitaeniata. Everytime I get in a mixed batch of wild Apistos there's always bitaeniata in there. :lol:
$200 is a lot of money for such a plain brown fish. It must be really rare. I'll take 4!!

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”