Help with new gold ram cichlid

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere
tenshichan82

Help with new gold ram cichlid

Post by tenshichan82 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and need help with my newly acquired gold ram draw from cichlid. I have had he (I believe) for about 3 weeks. When I bought him he was deep orange starting at the nose and as you followed to thensure tail, he became more iridescent. Over the few weeks I have had him, he has lost color and now he is a pale, almost becoming albino. He is active, eating and seems otherwise healthy. He is the only one in the tank that is losing color. I have been feeding him a daily diet of high quality flakes and frozen brine shrimp once a week. I have tried cichlid and shrimp pelletso, but he only takes a few nibbles and then leaves it. He is not my first ram cichlid. I had a pair of mated Bolivian cichlids and a few German blues and have not seem to have luck with them lasting more than 3-6 months.

Here is my tank specs:
29 gal tank running for 2 years, planted with a cave
Tank mates: 9 neon tetras, 3 candy cane tetras, 3 cory cats, 1 platy (1 recently disappeared) and I male swordfish.

Yesterday I did a 50% water change/gravel vacced (1st one since I got him)
Tested tank perimeters with api freshwater testing kit tonight:

Temp 82
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm
Nitrites: 0
Ph: 7.6

Can anyone offer any advise as to what I am doing, could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Angel

Tdonckt

Re: Help with new gold ram cichlid

Post by Tdonckt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 am

Temp seems a little on the high side...

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Help with new gold ram cichlid

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:46 am

No, the temperature seems a tiny bit low. Ideal temps are more like those for Discus, 84 - 86°F/ 30 - 31º C. My guess is that the original breeder used more live foods with more carotenoids in it. This brings out reds and yellows in fish.

Return to “Dwarf Cichlids”