Electrical Costs to Take Into Consideration

by Brian Bolen (slimbolen99)
slimbolen99

Electrical Costs to Take Into Consideration

Post by slimbolen99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 pm

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON BUILDING A BIG FISH ROOM, YOU NEED TO READ THIS.

Below is an image of a spreadsheet I used to calculate a couple of things; one, the electrical usage of each circuit, and two, the cost to run each component on a daily and monthly basis.

To find the cost to run a component, you need to know the number of watts that component uses, the number of hours per day it will run, and the cost per kilowatt hour.

To find the number of kWh, you take the number of watts the component uses, and divide that by 1,000. Then, to find out how much that component costs to run, take the kWh it uses, and multiply that times the number of hours it will run per day.

My electric company charges, on average, $0.114 per kWh.

There are a couple of more things to consider specific to my fishroom.
1) Once I get the small air pump installed over the water barrels, it won't be necessary to run the water pump 24 hours a day, every day.
2) The dehumidifier I use does not run 100% all the time. It has a thermostat that shuts off the compressor when the humidity hits the mark you set it at...however, the fan DOES run all day. For the purposes of this schematic, I am assuming it is running 100% all of the time.
3) Never, and I repeat, NEVER EVER show this break-out to your spouse, or another fish club friend's spouse for that matter! :D

As you can see by the attached image, some components that are necessary can be quite expensive.

Bas Pels

Re: Electrical Costs to Take Into Consideration

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 am

My electric company charges, on average, $0.114 per kWh.
Wow. My electricity costs almost three times as much :shock:

for this price, 1 watt full time costs approximately $ 1,00 a year. A year counts ~9.000 hours, and 9.000 * 0,00011 (S per wattH)= 1

This rule of thumb is not exact, but it does help calculating electricity costs. For instance, What pump should I buy? One of 100 $ @ 40 w or the one @ 200 S @ 20 watt? With your electricity costs, the expensive pump will take 5 years to become the cheap one.

Assuming the expenisive one is an Eheim, which will last 10 years or more, the expensive one will, taking the costs of onwnership into account, be the cheaper one

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 am

Nice break down... You're right about NOT showing anything you do with the fish to the wife although mine sees the monthly bills so she knows but she doesn't "know" if you know what I mean. :lol:

Install a Humidistat controlled vent fan and eliminate the Dehumidifier, that will virtually cut your costs in half - provided there is a cost to run that option. This system includes a dual cage blower, a humidistat and a duct to vent the humid air outside your home. Much cheaper than a dehumidifier or air exchanger in both operating and acquisition cost.

I didn't see any accounting for tank heaters, auxiliary pumps, hang-on filters or power heads. Do you use any of these items?

slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 am

Install a Humidistat controlled vent fan and eliminate the Dehumidifier, that will virtually cut your costs in half - provided there is a cost to run that option. This system includes a dual cage blower, a humidistat and a duct to vent the humid air outside your home. Much cheaper than a dehumidifier or air exchanger in both operating and acquisition cost.
In a few weeks, I will be building one of those exactly like that in this corner here (upper left corner of pic). I can vent outside via a dryer ventilation duct that is not in use. Hopefully I can find the components in a size that will fit there.

I didn't see any accounting for tank heaters, auxiliary pumps, hang-on filters or power heads. Do you use any of these items?
That's because there is none! :) There is a floor fan that I've added, but I only run it when I'm working in the room. The nice thing about the dehumidifier is that it also heats the room. Air comes out of it at 90*F and keeps the room air temp between 77*F and 79*F...thus no aquarium heaters.

Return to “Bolen's Tropical Underground Paradise”