Background and History

by Brian Bolen (slimbolen99)
slimbolen99

Background and History

Post by slimbolen99 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:28 am

I've done an introduction here already, but here's a little history in terms of my fish keeping journey.

My name is Brian Bolen, and I have been keeping fish off and on for the last 20 years. I've kept and bred many species of fish for fun, never for profit, and it is truly my passion.
I am mostly interested in smaller fish, particularly dwarf cichlids from West Africa and South America; although I keep and have kept a plethora of other species, including a saltwater tank. I am a member of the Heart of America Aquarium Society of Kansas City, the ACA, and this fine site, the Cichlid Room Companion.

My wife and I bought this house in May of 2009, and one of the requirements was that I was going to have a fish room. The wife agreed to it, and here we go.

The MCA Convention was coming to Kansas City in September of 2009, so we set up a "fish room" pretty quick with twelve 20 gallon highs, fifteen 10 gallons, two 55s, and two 75s.

After that first winter, I decided that because the basement's temperature was fluctuating so much between winter and summer, it was necessary to finish off a space and use that build as practice for finishing off the rest of the basement. My step-dad and I built houses for many years prior, so I do have a little bit of construction experience, although I'm pretty rough around the edges. Without the help of my step dad and my real dad, this dream could not have been realized.'

The new room is actually in the same place as the old room...which meant I had to move the existing tanks to another place in the basement. I sold most of my "common" stock and setup six 20 gallons for my harder to find fish...hoping they would survive months of neglect and construction. I only lost two tetras during the entire process.

The new room is approximately 275 sq foot, but only 82" tall ceilings. The shorter ceiling means I couldn't have three tiers of tanks, but my bad back doesn't mind that so much.

The old room had 31 tanks and 650 gallons of water.
The new room has 42 tanks and 1,460 gallons of water...comprised of sixteen 75 gallons and twenty-six 10 gallons.

THE OLD FISH ROOM

THE NEW FISH ROOM

More later on the actual construction of the various components...

smitty

Re: Background and History

Post by smitty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 am

Afetr all of this stuff in the fish room you realize that you have a great wife. Many wives tend a balk at things like this. I know many who wife is upset that they went from a 55 gallon tank to a 100 gallon tank.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

slimbolen99

Re: Background and History

Post by slimbolen99 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:58 pm

smitty wrote:Afetr all of this stuff in the fish room you realize that you have a great wife. Many wives tend a balk at things like this. I know many who wife is upset that they went from a 55 gallon tank to a 100 gallon tank.
You are absolutely right. She is the best. And most patient. She's not complained yet, but I haven't ordered fish yet, so you never know. :)

Return to “Bolen's Tropical Underground Paradise”