Pump / Filtration

By James "Jshakour"
Jshakour

Pump / Filtration

Post by Jshakour » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:11 am

I have an upgraded my fish room pump to an AP-60 connected to 1 inch PVC in a loop. I added 25 valves and used silicone tubing to each #3 hydro sponge, some tanks have more than one sponge.
AP-60
AP-60
IMAG0281.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
As you can see I used 2 inch styro foam and a mouse pad to try and cut down on the vibration noise, however, the pump is placed right below my daughters bedroom and you can hear a hum in her room. I am not sure if it is from the pump or the PVC pipe that runs right under her room. I also tried to make the connection up to the main pipe as gradual as possible.
Gradual supply line
Gradual supply line
IMAG0282.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Here is a good pic of the valves. The set that is closest to you, I put in at a little bit of an up angle, the reason being, the silicone tubing comes out and away from the pvc as opposed to going straight down into the tanks as I was trying to avoid creating a pinch point in the air line.
Valves
Valves
IMAG0284.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
IMAG0287.jpg
IMAG0287.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

As of right the AP-60 is pumping air to the following tanks...

1 - 5 gallon
3 - 10 gallons
3 - 20 gallons
2 - 15 gallons
1 - 30 gallon
The above tanks were run by all of this...
Pumps
Pumps
IMAG0292.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Within the next month or so I plan on adding the following tanks...

1 - 15 gallon
3 -20 gallons
2 - 55 gallons

With more tanks to follow!!!

Originally I had clear air line tubing going to each hydro sponge. It was setup that way since late January, I noticed that the tubing that was in the water had hardened, I cleaned the sponges in a bucket of tank water and replaced the tubing that runs inside the sponge.

All in all the switch over took me about 5 hours that I spread out over two days. I also moved some tanks around and setup another tank to be used as a nursery tank for new fry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Jshakour

Re: Pump / Filtration

Post by Jshakour » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm

@@@[email protected]@@

The pump is located in my basement directly under my daughters room. I noticed a bit of vibration on the floor. After much investigating, I used zip ties to secure the pvc pipe to the joists, so I backed out the screws about an 1/8 of an inch, just enough to put space between the pvc and the joist. The vibration is pretty much gone.

I can still hear the pump a bit, I am going to look into designing some kind of "baffle" for the pump. Not sure where to start, but I was thinking of so kind of enclosure.
-James

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Not a good idea to build a baffle around the pump..unless you plan to install a fan.
Pump is dependent on air circ for cooling purposes.

Try installing a much larger pipe right out of the pump then downsizing again into your system
and see if this doesn't reduce the noise level some. Also not bleeding enough air will cause excess
backpressure on your pump causing it to run noisy. It's not necessary to make a sweeping transition
in an air system as long as the pipe is large enough.

Your air system is looking very good and I think you can expect many years of trouble free service from it.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Kyle May wrote:Not a good idea to build a baffle around the pump..unless you plan to install a fan.
Pump is dependent on air circ for cooling purposes.

Try installing a much larger pipe right out of the pump then downsizing again into your system
and see if this doesn't reduce the noise level some. Also not bleeding enough air will cause excess
backpressure on your pump causing it to run noisy. It's not necessary to make a sweeping transition
in an air system as long as the pipe is large enough.

Your air system is looking very good and I think you can expect many years of trouble free service from it.

Kyle
Good point.
-James

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Here is a picture of a 15 gallon with two different types of hydro sponges.
IMAG0384.jpg
IMAG0384.jpg (26.86 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

For the longest time, I would have tiny "particles" floating in the tank. I added the smaller hydro about 5 days ago and looking at the picture, you can see how much it has collected. It has also kinda "polished" the water so to speak. I will have to see if I can get the "finer" sponge filter for my other larger tanks.
-James

Return to “My Fish Room”