Crazy Idea

Discussion about discus
|v|att

Crazy Idea

Post by |v|att » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 pm

I have a friend who is looking to get some discus' and is half considering trying them with frontosa's. Just wondering what everyones view of this is if they were to be in a 5 foot long tank. Lets go with 5 discus and 4-6 frontosas. Do you think this is a deadly experiment or do you think it would work. I am looking at taking water conditions, P.H, etc into consideration for this question.

Appreciate all the posts to come!

Matt

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Crazy Idea

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am

Wow, that would be an interesting combo. I don't think it would work in the long run though. The fish have completely different water requirements. Their behaviour is also quite different.

Daniel Smith

Post by Daniel Smith » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am

Not a good idea IMO Most importantly as said above water requirements are so far apart it is impossible to satisfy the needs of both species. Even if this were not the case i think discus would be very nervous and intimidated if kept with a group of frontosa .Plenty of nice south americans to keep with discus (try any geophagus sp). There are also pleny of nice tangs for you to keep with frontosa. I would pick one or the other or buy another tank and try both :D

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am

|v|att wrote:I have a friend who is looking to get some discus' and is half considering trying them with frontosa's.

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Uhhh, Huhh, Oh never mind.

|v|att

Post by |v|att » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes I know its a very bad combo. I keep Victorians so I have no intent of doing this. Few people were saying to someone it could be done with no issues. I am very against this and I wrote a novel about why. I appreciate the negative feedback (really) but if you are just going to put icons on there or short non-helpful responses, don't waste your time. I was hoping to get some new information/reasons as to why this should not be attempted.

Cheers !

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Someone in Poland did it already. In first second I thought it is a very stupid idea (and I think so even now, though). But it worked for quite a while. Let me mention discus form was not the delicate one, just one of those kept and breed in Polish tap water for ages. But I have no idea how it ended.

All in all I think mixing fish from different continents, with different requirements, different "body language", and different everything, is not the point of fishkeeping as it should be.
Cheers
Piotr

ocean

Post by ocean » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 am

The idea is a total aquaristic kitsch in my opinion

Return to “Discus”