Discus swimming problem

Discussion about discus
Ken Grimmett

Discus swimming problem

Post by Ken Grimmett » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

One on my 6" Discus was swimming erratically for at least an hour today. Basically a 45-degree angle, trying to swim down but using allot of effort with little success. Now it seems normal but is hiding in the corner. I cannot detect any swimming issues when it swam out for food.

Is this an issue I should treat with something or just wait and see if it returns?

I was thinking swim bladder but now I’ am not sure.

I have 5 Discus in that tank (75g) - no signs of stress on any of the fish (color) and all the other fish in the tank look ok. Ammonia and Nitrates are very low. Water changes have been on their normal schedule. These fish have been in this tank for 8 weeks. Marine land 450 filter (deep one) was set up with a "dirty" foam block between the filter inserts and one of the two ATI sponges was old. Temp 86F. PH is currently 7.0

The fish has not shown this behavior for 1/2 day now.
The future is what you plan for, life is what you get, enjoy it.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Discus swimming problem

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 pm

So, it's swimming ok now?

Ken Grimmett

Post by Ken Grimmett » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Yes,

I don't see any issues with its swimming. I did a little research and this problem may have been a "bloat" problem. I have been feeding them flake food for most of the time I had them, and then gave them a black worm treat a few days before. Then I feed them flake again. I don't reminder if they had one or two feedings of flake before this problem showed up.

Does this sound plausible to you? “It was a bloat issue caused by the switch in foods. This problem cleared up on its own through normal digestion. That is why they seem fine now.”

The fish did look like it was in distress.
The future is what you plan for, life is what you get, enjoy it.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm

It's possible. It could have had some sort of digestive issue that cleared up with passing feces (or gas). Hard to say. Hopefully that's the last you'll see of that!

Return to “Discus”