need help discus darting all over tank

Discussion about discus
fsirico

need help discus darting all over tank

Post by fsirico » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm

I have a 230gal with 6 adult discus about a year old. waters fine no ammonia or any toxins. they eat like slobs act fine then sometimes like couple times a day i'll see one go crazy arting all over the place back and forth. and its not the same one doing it all the time, it will just be random which one does it. I lost one discus from hurting its self from head truama. anyone have any idea's or know whats going on?

Dean Hougen

Re: need help discus darting all over tank

Post by Dean Hougen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Something is scaring them. What, I don't know. A shadow moving quickly across a part of the tank maybe?

Do they have lots of vertical cover? Tall plants like "Jungle Val" (Valisnaria americana) can provide a real comfort to discus, in my experience. (I've never like the bare discus tank approach.)

Dean
Chair, American Cichlid Association (ACA)
President, Oklahoma Aquarium Association (OKAA)

ACA 2012 Convention in Indianapolis, IN
http://www.aca2012indy.com

Cgreig

Re: need help discus darting all over tank

Post by Cgreig » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I would agree Discus can be very skiddish and any sudden movements can scare them. I know that when I have approached my tank with a dark coat it freaks them out. Also I had lost a couple discus when they starting darting and spasing all over the tank and then whirling around and dying hopefully that is not the case with yours.

:D

Chris

Return to “Discus”