Discus spawning

Discussion about discus
BaLaNeve

Discus spawning

Post by BaLaNeve » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:09 am

ok, so how long does it take for the parents to get it right? I purchased 4 discus about 8 months ago. They are all in a 75 gallon tank with a light sand substrate, maybe half an inch and two power filters on the tank with sponge filters over the inlets. I have two heaters (just in case) in the tank. The temp is 84 degrees. The PH is 6.9. Out of the tap it is 7.6 so I use seachem discus buffer and it keeps the tank at 6.9. Sorry I don't have a hardness test kit but will be getting it soon. So about 10 weeks ago i had my first spawn. Was weird, the male spawned with two females at the same time on the same site. He would first spawn with one female, and when she was done the second female would start to lay eggs. I was thinking wow, this is going to be a large spawn. But as the second female was almost finished the first female started to eat the eggs. This happened twice, so before the third spawn I placed a divider in the tank leaving only one pair on one side and the other two fish on the other. The pair has now spawned every week. The first couple of times they (mostly the female) would eat the eggs on the morning of the day the eggs should hatch. I was getting alot of eggs with fungus on them and never really saw any of the eggs eyed up. So this last time when I did my water changes I used a lot of R/O water. This time I got about 20 or so little wigglers, and then they ate them. Let me explain how I do my water changes. Tues. I change 30 gallons with pre treated/ pre heated tap water, Thurs I repeat this. Then on Sat. I change 20 gallons but this time I used 20 gallons of heated and treated R/O water, and then I repeat this Sunday as well. When I am finished with the water changes I turn on the power filter on the side of the tank with the spawning pair. This seemed to help since this last time I did get wigglers. I was thinking this weekend I will use more R/O water and see if that helps with the good to bad egg ratio. But, I was wondering how long should I let them try to get this right before trading out the females? Or is there something else I should try first? Oh yes, and their diet is Live Black Worms, Frozen Blood Worms, and Tetra Color Bits. The live food is washed several times and kept very clean, and the fronzen food is rinsed and never used while still frozen.

Brian

BaLaNeve

Re: Discus spawning

Post by BaLaNeve » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:12 am

ok, so just an update. I think the R/O water may be the trick. I am getting a lot more eggs eyed up and very few that get fungus. But the pair is still eating the fry/eggs. Most of the time they eat them on morning they should hatch. Two times now they left them alone and didn't eat them until the evening after I turned out the lights. I did leave a small light on in the room and also covered the front of the tank. But the next morning the fry are gone. Is it time to trade out the female for another one?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Many breeders have a mesh that allows the parents to fan the eggs, but not eat them. Maybe you might want to try that, or pull the eggs shortly before hatching.

BaLaNeve

Post by BaLaNeve » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks, I have seen them posted at several different sites. I went to two local hardware stores to purchase some, but both didn't have any in stock and said I would have to buy the entire role. So, ordered some on line (was only 3.00 plus shipping) Still waiting on it. I will let you know if it works. The bad news is they will most likely spawn this weekend and I will be at the OCA in Ohio. I can only hope that when I get home Sunday night I have eggs and then I can place it over them. Thanks.

Brian

myster619

Post by myster619 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:46 am

I never used any supplements to breed my discus. I also used water right out from the tap, ph 7. The breeder had the discus for at least a year, using R/O water but didn't breed for him. They bred for me one month after I purchased them. So I think they just need a little change in of living conditions.

I don't know how to embed youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2UCKH81Nk

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:04 am

you've got a spawn, that's fine but did you get babies ?

myster619

Post by myster619 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:40 am

Yes the eggs hatched but the parents ate them. It was their first time breeding.

Return to “Discus”