ID the locale of your wild discus

Discussion about discus
Lisachromis
Administrator

ID the locale of your wild discus

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:48 pm

This was posted on a discus forum but thought it was something that could be shared.

An ID page of wild-caught discus.

ID me

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi Lisachromis,
Thanks for posting this link. I added it to my favorites on my web browser. I have been tinkering with the idea of getting back into Discus, and this will help if I do.

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:32 am

Hi Lisachromis, Nandus,
Those discus has been provided by 2 of Japanese suppliers in Brazil. Those lacatios are correct.
Here's other link. If you are interested in seeing more pic and map, please visit :) Seiichi

Alenquer to lower Amazon region
http://www.rva.ne.jp/discus/gallary_discus-a.html

aroung Manaus
http://www.rva.ne.jp/discus/gallary_discus-m.html

Peru and Colombian
http://www.rva.ne.jp/discus/gallary_discus-p.html

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:03 am

Hey Jedi,
Brazil has my favorite Discus. I did visit an exporter in Peru and they had some nice Discus, but I still favor the Brazilian types. Thanks for the links.

May the force be with you.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks for the extra links. I'd love to add some wild discus to my collection one day.

apistomaster

Post by apistomaster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:42 am

I know these are older posts but as a long time discus breeder with a preference for wild type discus it was a pleasue loking at all these wild discus photos.
The Japanese OTF market seems to get the cream of the wild caught wild discus but they are much more willing to pay higher prices than most American hobbyists so they get the best fish. This true for all tropical fish.
I know that Japanese hobbyist get L-Number plecos we never see.

I like all wild discus but I have bred representatives of the Brown, green and Blue discus so now my pet project is trying to breed wild Heckels.
I have ten I bought last year as barely 3 inch juveniles and they are on average about five inches. That take twice as long to reach maturity as the other wild types so I expect to have to wait another year to pass before they might be old enough to spawn. I have dubbed it "The Heckel Project. In the meanwhile they are just a joy to have them in my livingroom display tank. They are great tranquilizers, just watch them and the everyday stresses just sort of flow away. Heckels are an especially easy going good natured discus. They prefer to coexist peacefully, not engaging in a struggle for dominance that the other wild discus tend to do.
I guess the best way to describe it is they are very "polite" with each other.

In a past set up I have kept large wild royal blue discus with the Geophagus cf surinamensis and they actually made a good combination.
I'm not really up to date with all the different names given to this group of eartheaters but they and the discus each went about their business and never had any problems getting along with each other. The Geos were spectacular fish in thhere own right and they complimented each other in shape and behavior making for a very nice display. This is something most discus keepers would have trouble imagining. They often think of discus as being too delicate so when they think of companion fish they tend to limit themselves th Rams or other dwarf cichlids. It's too bad.
Actually aside from the Geos I have found the Dwarf Pike Cichlids to be another good cihlid to keep with discus. In fact I have some with my Heckels now.
Larry Waybright

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 am

Good luck with "The Heckel Project" Larry. From what I can gather, Heckels have been successfully bred and raised by only a handful of people. Please keep us appraised of your efforts :)

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

apistomaster

Post by apistomaster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:25 am

Hi Ken,
Thank you.I happen to believe that only a few have been successful with breeding wild Heckels although there seems to be good evidence that male HeckelXOther Discus occassionally occur in nature and more frequently in captivity.
I am the co-founder of the subforum called "The Heckel Project" at simplydiscus. My idea but I was able to gain Al's support. It has become an active portion of the wild discus forum there. A lot of contentious debates and special guest stars such as Heiko Bleher have expressed interest and contributed to the subforum. It was formed to try to bring together all the talent possible to hopefully make a break through in this most challenging Cichlid to breed in captivity.
The internet is such a good vehicle for facilitating the coordination and information transfers that are necessary to succeed. I felt that after approximately 60 years of being in the hobby it is about time that we get the captive breeding of Heckels a reality. I know that more progress is likely if we get our heads together instead of working in isolation.

It isn't that they are very rare or the most beautiful of all wild discus but that they are such a challenge is what makes them special. A similar project is underway dealing with most of the same issues concerning Pterophyllum altum. Probably only a handful of aquarists have sucessfully bred and raised the Altum angelfish in the past 60 years, also.
Larry Waybright

Return to “Discus”