Chromidotilapia guentheri spawn

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Lisachromis
Administrator

Chromidotilapia guentheri spawn

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:11 pm

My Chromidotilapia guentheri have finally spawned! I caught a male holding eggs today, but I have no idea on how long he actually has been holding them since the tank has tons of wood in it and I don't often get time to stare into the tank to observe these fish too often. How long do they hold their eggs and should I 'strip' him if I want to save some of the fry? He's in a 100 gallon tank along with 6-7 other guentheri and some assorted catfish, tetras, and a large rainbow.

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Awesome, Lisa! I've never bred guentheri, but I have had terrible luck getting other Chromidos and Benitos to hold to term. They always swallow them on me.

Let us know how it turns out!
Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

tjudy
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by tjudy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:51 pm

They will hold the developing fry for about 20 days (depending upon temperature) and bring the free swimmers in for protection for a couple weeks after that. You can strip the fish if you are set up to incubate the developing fry, or you can wait will they are free swimming, scare them into the parent's mouth and then strip to get free swimmers rather than wigglers.

Once a pair is spawning they will spawn regularly. You might want to consider letting the parents care for this brood for as long as they can. This will make them better parents and a more strongly bonded pair... at least in my experience.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”