I like West Africans, too - here's what I've got

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Darrell Ullisch

I like West Africans, too - here's what I've got

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Hi gang, new to the forum. Right now I'm raising about 300-400 fry from one spawn of Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus! Picked up the pair at the convention, less than two weeks after I got home they laid an enormous plaque of eggs. That batch was eaten, but they spawned again only 9 days later, and I pulled the eggs. The fry are quite robust, took bbs right off the bat. I've got pictures, I'll have to upload them somewhere so I can post them here.

I've also got a pair of Tilapia Sp. 'Mamfe', they've spawned at least once and ate the eggs, right now they're in a 90 gallon "community" tank to keep the male from trashing the female (he's busy chasing Rainbowfish and big Chocolate Cichlids!). He nearly killed her after the first spawn was eaten, in this same 90 gallon tank. I'm going to try divider-spawning, see if I can get fry without losing the female.

Last year a friend sent me a batch of Tilapia snyderae fry from his wild fish spawning, they're coloring up, but don't seem to want to spawn yet. Gorgeous little things! I have some pictures, but they're rather shy for a Cichlid and it's hard to get good shots.

I've got some single Pelvicachromis, too, signatus male, rubrolabiatus female, and a roloffi male. The signatus spawned once, but no fry, when I moved them, he offed her. The other two are halves of pairs bought at convention, lost some fish to the heat on the trip back.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

kenkht

Post by kenkht » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:13 pm

How is your T sp. "Menfe" doing? Do you have a picture of it.

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I have them separated right now, she's trying to grow back the upper half of her tail. He's pretty nasty with her. I do have some photos, I need to upload them to one of the storage services. I originally had their parents from fish that Paul Loiselle took to Cleveland for the Cichlid Extravaganza, he was calling them Species 'Cross River'; the same fish later came out in the Lamboj book with the name Species 'Mamfe'. They were very small when I got them, took almost a year to mature.

Anyway, they didn't want to spawn for me so I passed them to a better fish breeder. When I went to catch them, I found that the heater hadn't been working, and they were in 68 F. water! Since I'd already promised them to him, I took them out anyway. After he spawned them for me, he gave me back a batch of young, and these two are the remains of that group. It is an unusually aggressive species with its own kind.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

k98

Post by k98 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Return to “Other African Cichlids”