Hemichromis steliffer from Gabon , something special !

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Hemichromis steliffer from Gabon , something special !

Post by Florent » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:49 am

Hemiincub1.jpg
Hemiincub1.jpg (307.16 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Hemiincub1.jpg
Hemiincub1.jpg (307.16 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Hemiincub3.jpg
Hemiincub3.jpg (305.46 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Did you see something special on this pictures ?
Attachments
Hemiincub2.jpg
Hemiincub2.jpg (317.51 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Hemichromis steliffer from Gabon , something special !

Post by coelacanth » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:33 am

Florent wrote:Did you see something special on this pictures ?
I know what I think I see, but I'm worried to say it in case I embarrass myself....
Aside from being possibly the most beautiful Hemichromis in existence (and a fish that I'm pretty sure I saw at Oliver's earlier this year, fully coloured at less than 2cm in length), is that fish using its buccal region for something more than the usual Hemichromis activity of eating?
In which case this really is astonishing!

Randall
CichlidRoom Expert

Hemichromis stellifer

Post by Randall » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:56 am

Hello Florent,

Your fish isn't mouthbrooding is it? How is this possible? Perhaps I see more than what is really there.

I hope all is well with our Florent.

All the best,

Randall Kohn
Have you fed your fish a shrimp today?

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:18 pm

You are rigth, the female have fry in is mouth.

I'll try to explain and I hope you improve my english.

I have this pair of Hemichromis since 2001 . I caugth them in Gabon as young fishes. I have some young of them that I give to friend so I keep them in a 1 000 L tank.

As I am changing house and lose one of my two last female, I put the pair in a 96 L tank to raise young.

they spawned a lot of time but I didn't managed to save fry this summer because of my trip to french guyana and after I change house.

So they spwan again not a long time ago. all was as usual, but after one week of free swimming I do a mistake. The ligth stay for 36 h and a lot of fry died. I don't know if it's was because of lack of food or something else.
the day after, when the ligth switch on, I didn't see any baby but after few minutes I notice the female was still red and do just like mouthbroading female do ...
I take some pictures and give some food, the female eat after releasing about 20 young.
the day after exactly the same when the ligth switch on, the female have fry in is mouth but only 3.
nothing else because all the babies died but I am awaiting for next spawn...

Randall
CichlidRoom Expert

Mouthbrooding Hemichromis stellifer?

Post by Randall » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:25 pm

Hello Florent,

This breeding behavior is remarkable indeed!

So, you observed the mouthbrooding behavior when you turned the light on? Is this right? If so, the female took the fry into her mouth at night when it was dark?

May I show your photos to the North Jersey Aquarium Society membership? I'm presenting to the society this week and would like to include them in my program.

Merci beaucoup!

Amicalement,

Randall Kohn
Have you fed your fish a shrimp today?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:59 pm

DARN, I was going to guess that, but didn't want to look stupid if it wasn't... :oops: :oops:

Guess I better just guess next time! 8)

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Mouthbrooding Hemichromis stellifer?

Post by Florent » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:47 am

Randall wrote:Hello Florent,

This breeding behavior is remarkable indeed!

So, you observed the mouthbrooding behavior when you turned the light on? Is this right? If so, the female took the fry into her mouth at night when it was dark?
yes I think so, but I was not at home when the ligth switch off. I didn't know if they have done this before or just this time because I forgot the ligth on.
Somebody tell me that Konrad Lorenz have seen something like that with Hemichromis, but I can't say me in whih book. I send pictures to Dr. Anton Lamboj, and he answered that :
"I am with you, that this is not mouthbreeding as usual, but more protection of fry. (Mouthbrooding is - for definition - only with eggs and larvae, but not with juveniles swimming free). But nevertheless - very interesting, and a beautiful fish."
May I show your photos to the North Jersey Aquarium Society membership? I'm presenting to the society this week and would like to include them in my program.

Merci beaucoup!

Amicalement,

Randall Kohn
Yes of course, I would be proud

Return to “Other African Cichlids”