Alcolapia alcalicus

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Lisachromis
Administrator

Alcolapia alcalicus

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:14 pm

Does anyone have any information on this fish?

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:06 pm

Hi Miss Lisa!

You have an interest in Soda Cichlids? I have an article that Dr. George Barlow wrote for my clubs pub; Cichlidae Communique

It was also printed in the Buntbarshe Bulletin and I can't find my copy to give you the number, but it was probably published in the spring of 2002. Dig out those old BB's girlfriend!

If you strike out, send me an email and I'll attach a copy of the text.
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:38 pm

Think you could Pam? I have the BBs from then, but no idea where they are now. I have way too many fish magazines around my house LOL.

I tend to like all sorts of interesting fish..

Too many fish, too little time.... :P

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by coelacanth » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:35 am

There's a superb article on Alcolapia in 'Cichlid Research: State of the Art', a Cichlid special from the Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences.
I have heard that they are now being produced by breeders in eastern Europe for the aquarium trade, and they have been imported into the US. I think Ariel Bornstein may be the first over there to have bred them.

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Some are available in Republique tchèque.

We have some in France. It is a small (10 cm) and colorfull species.
I have them in "normal" water with Etroplus canarensis and Etroplus maculatus.
I try do make some pictures to share :wink:

you can see females on the picture in this topic http://www.cichlidae.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=181

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:11 pm

coelacanth wrote:There's a superb article on Alcolapia in 'Cichlid Research: State of the Art', a Cichlid special from the Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences.
I have heard that they are now being produced by breeders in eastern Europe for the aquarium trade, and they have been imported into the US. I think Ariel Bornstein may be the first over there to have bred them.
Would there be any way of getting this article somehow? I know someone who may be getting some and he's wanting all the info he can get his hands on.

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by coelacanth » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:00 am

Lisachromis wrote:Would there be any way of getting this article somehow? I know someone who may be getting some and he's wanting all the info he can get his hands on.
I believe it may still be available from Ron Coleman, or at least he will be able to suggest a source for it in the US.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:40 am

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:46 pm

I have some juveniles that I am growing out. They really seem to love algae!!! I have seen many fish pick it off of rocks, but these guys suck it off the glass too! They are very adaptable to water conditions. In the wild, the pH can range in the double digits :!: , but they seem to do well in my tapwater too. They spawned twice at only 1 1/4" long, but never held to term. This is one of my favorite fish, and if anyone has access to them, I would highly recommend them!
Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:10 am

I thought I´d kick some life in this old thread again

I seen Alcolapia latilabris a couple of times in Germany, but as I have brought a lot of other fishes with me back home, I never had room for these, but I´ve always been really fascinated by these soda cichlids

In the near future I may get a chance of getting some Alcolapia alcalicus - beautiful fish: http://www.blackwaterfish.com/alcolapia_pair.jpg

Dave, I can see you keep them - can you tell me a bit about your experience with them, what tanksize do you recommend, any suggestions for possible tankmates etc. etc.

Thanks!

Thomas

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:29 am

By the way, some articles are mentioned above, any of you that got them?
I have an article that Dr. George Barlow wrote for my clubs pub; Cichlidae Communique

It was also printed in the Buntbarshe Bulletin and I can't find my copy to give you the number, but it was probably published in the spring of 2002. Dig out those old BB's girlfriend!
There's a superb article on Alcolapia in 'Cichlid Research: State of the Art', a Cichlid special from the Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences.

I´d be very interested in reading them

All the best,

Thomas

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:20 am

I enjoyed them while they lasted. Unfortunately, I lost them all to a mystery infection (I have no idea what it was!) about 2 or 3 months after my original post. I have tried to get more, but they don't seem to be around here anymore. They were truly one of the most interesting fish I have ever kept, and I wish that I had done better with the group I had. If I ever get a hold of some more, I'll post about it here.
Dave Schumacher

Simon Morgan

Post by Simon Morgan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:31 pm

Cool fish! Looks like they should be available in the UK. According to Practical Fishkeeping, June 05 they are being imported from the Czech Republic by Tom Halvorsen Ltd.

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:21 am

Xenos,
Thanks for posting that link. They almost remind of a North American Pupfish or some other king of Killifish.

ds1196,
I lost most of my large group of Herichthys tamasopoensis to something that appeared to be bloat. I have one fish left. The funny thing is that I had this group for over 8 years.

Alcolapia live in such a hostile habitat, that they may not have the antibodies to deal with pathogens that "normal" fish carry. The desert environment probably has a microscopic "bacterial" fauna that is unique and the fish were not equipped to deal with "outside" pathogens.

sixfoottank,
Thanks for pointing that out. I am going to look in to that.

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:48 am

Nandus wrote:Alcolapia live in such a hostile habitat, that they may not have the antibodies to deal with pathogens that "normal" fish carry. The desert environment probably has a microscopic "bacterial" fauna that is unique and the fish were not equipped to deal with "outside" pathogens.
I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense, though. They were extremely adaptable to more "normal" water conditions, although I did add a bit of salt.
Dave Schumacher

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:11 pm

I was keeping a group of 7. The dominant male killed two other males almost immediately. I was then down to 2M, 3F. He then proceeded to breed with one of the females. I was unprepared for the first batch to be free-swimming so quickly (12 days) and lost them all. I managed to save 5 fry from the second batch. They were surprisingly small for a mouthbrooder with small clutches. I eventually lost them all by the end of the first week. My male then killed all three females when they were not ready to breed. I am now left with 2 males and 0 females :cry:

Picture of my dominant male Jan 05

Same male in June 05

He's still a tough sonofagun to this day. I just wish I had access to more females.

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:01 am

Sorry to hear that :( Anyway, thanks for the info, I´ll definitely have this in mind

Good luck with finding some females and thanks for sharing your pictures, they are beautiful :)

All the best,

Thomas

Return to “Other African Cichlids”