Lamprologus teugelsi

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Lamprologus teugelsi

Post by Thomas Andersen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 am

Mark,

I just saw that Juan Miguel has added your photos of Lamprologus teugelsi to the catalogue, and that one of your fish was used as holotype in the description:

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/picture.php?p=2210

So, what's the story behind this? It sounds quite interesting :)

All the best, Thomas

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Lamprologus teugelsi

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Thomas

Well, the Lamps came in as contaminants with Steatocranus casuarius back in 1993, the days when the exporters just mixed a lot of stuff together with S. casuarius. I spotted them while working for Old World Exotic Fish in Homestead, Florida. I took them aside and photographed them and then later preserved them in alcohol. They seemed like a new species to me, based upon what I thought I knew about the Congo Lamps at that time.

I was in contact with Dr. Stiassny then, and so I mailed the preserved specimens to her. She held them for quite some time, and then she gave them to Dr. Schelly, who along with another scientist, described it in 2004. I noticed in the original paper that the male I sent them ended up being the holotype. So, looking back at my slide collection, the photo I had of the male I sent to Dr. Stiassny is the very same one that I gave to Juan to post the other day.

I just love looking for contaminants in shipments of fish. You never know what may pop up.

Cichlidenwelt

Post by Cichlidenwelt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 pm

Hello,

may I ask where the name Lamprologus teugelsi comes from. I keep Lamprologus congoensis and Lamprologus mocquardi.
Would love to know where to find those you mentioned
regards from germany

Oliver

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 pm

It was named in honor of Guy Teugels, an important figure in the study of African freshwater fishes.

As to how to find it, the best bet is to look over wholesalers tanks of Congo Lamps and pick them out. I doubt if the collectors in the Congo are able to differentiate it from some of the Lamp species regularly exported.

Cichlidenwelt

Post by Cichlidenwelt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:11 am

Hello,

sounds interesting. I could not find any information about that.
Sounds interesting.
Thanks for that information. Is it discribed yet?
regards from germany

Oliver

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:25 am

Thanks for the story Mark :)

Yes, looking for contaminants is always fun. My local fishstore got a shipment of Lamprologus congoensis in a month ago, but I'm quite sure some of them belongs to a different species. They look similar to the unidentified Lamprologus spp. pictured in Lamboj's book page 202. It's a most beautiful fish, spangled with white shiny spots. I'll try to take a photo of them next time I visit the store.

Oliver, Lamprologus teugelsi was described in 2004 together with L. tigripictilis - you can download the original description here: http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/b ... /N3451.pdf

All the best, Thomas

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 am

Thomas

It would be great if you could get back to that place to photo the riverine Lamp. From your description, it may be L. tigripictilis??

By the way, Dr. Schelly, on a recent collecting trip to the lower Congo, found 3 Lamprologus lethops, all dead or dieing, floating on the surface of the water with small air bubbles over their bodies, indicating they where somehow flushed up from very deep water. He took a nice photo of one, which should appear on the American Museum of Natural History's website soon. Something to look forward to seeing!

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:03 am

Mark,

yes it's possible they could be L. tigripictilis, though I don't think they had the big lips that's present in this specimen of tigripictilis:
Lamprologus tigripictilis
Lamprologus tigripictilis
Lamprologus tigripictilis.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
Photo from The Congo Project: http://research.amnh.org/ichthyology/congo/index.html

Well, I better visit the store again and take some photos :)

It will be great when the new photos of L. lethops are added - I wonder if we will ever see this strange cichlid in the hobby.

All the best, Thomas
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link as attachment

Sébastien Bochenko

Post by Sébastien Bochenko » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 am

Mark Smith wrote:He took a nice photo of one, which should appear on the American Museum of Natural History's website soon. Something to look forward to seeing!
Can we see this picture anywhere ?

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 am

Dr. Schelly is supposed to publish his findings on L. lethops soon, and then afterwards, according to him, the photo will be posted on the American Museum's website. I will try to contact him to get an update soon.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”