Tilapia brevimanus

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Vincent Fu

Tilapia brevimanus

Post by Vincent Fu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I picked up some Tilapia brevimanus from Jim and Robert at mainlycichlids.com. Has anyone ever kept them?

This is Robert's photo of them:

He said the fry they are selling come from stock that used to be at the Steinhart Aquarium.

Paul Loiselle wrote an article about them in the Jan 1993 Cichlid News but that issue is no longer available. Does anyone have this issue?

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Tilapia brevimanus

Post by Florent » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:14 am

http://cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=153

http://www.blackwaterfish.com/brevimanus.htm

I quote Dr Lamboj's book
Keeping and breeding in aquaria: No concrete information is available; Tilapia brevimanus seems to have been imported only a few time

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:10 am

I bred them some 10-15 years ago, my fish were supposedly F1 from stock that PVL had gotten/collected/found, exact information wasn't available. They didn't have near the color of that photo. The male was unbelievably aggressive, getting the one spawn was not easy as he was very rough on the female. He was later placed in a community tank with some Rhoadsia altipinna, a moderately large Tetra from SA. He refused to leave the male Tetra's territory, and had most of his scales and fins removed overnight for his stubbornness. Amazingly, he did recover from that.

The conditions were: slightly alkaline, moderately hard water about 200 ppm, temp around 78 F., red flint gravel substrate and a few red clay flowerpots, one of which the female was able to keep the male out of. They were cave spawners and bred relatively small, he was only about 4 inches, she was barely 3. Diet was mixed, flakes, live plants floating on the surface, and occasionally some Blackworms. I had no dithers in the breeding tank; that might have redirected some of his aggression, but I also suspect that this fish would have destroyed most dithers (The Tetra that tore him a new one was not the dither in that tank, the Cichlids were dithers for the Tetras - long story).

Biggest worry in my experience is the aggression factor.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Many thanks. Robert did mention their aggression and also said that they breed at a fairly small size.

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:46 pm

Paul Loiselle kindly sent me a copy of his Cichlid News article where he wrote that his wild male showed no growth a year after reaching 5" SL. He also did not report extreme aggression in a 6' tank and said that his pair spawned in pH 7.0 DH 3 water. The F1 generation grew slowly but produced their first spawn at 16 months of age.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”